"The only limits to the possibilities in your life tomorrow are the buts you use today." ~ Les Brown
I've been giving thought to sorting out what beliefs I hold that limit me. The thing about limiting self beliefs (LSB's) is, generally, there is not a whole lot of validity to them. And if they are partially true, the falseness come from the fact that only I allow them to limit me! I'm working a little program for myself...I really believe I have to identify my LSBs before I can slay them. See these little beliefs are my dragons and I really do not want to keep them around. However, slaying is hard...it is much easier to chase them off to return much like a homing pigeon.
First, I am sorting out what my goals really are. End result goals that I are really mine to accomplish. I'm kicking all others to the curb. Second, I am honestly seeking out my limiting self beliefs and naming them. This second step is hard.....well, at lest the honesty part is. LSB can hide themselves as truths....and can also be disguised as excuses. Third, I am making a "T" account list of the truths and lies of my LSBs. And then, lastly, I am working a slay program.
A pretty safe example of a Limiting Self Belief would be.......
MY PLACE IS TOO SMALL TO TRAIN DOGS TO BE COMPETITIVE
Step 1: Goal-run Nell and Bella at the 2013 USBCHA National Finals
Step 2: LSB- My place is too small to train my dogs up to be competitive at the Finals
Step 3: T Account-
left side truth to confirm the LSB:
I have 10 acres
People have told me my place is too small
right side that slays LSB:
I have 10 acres
there are highly competitive handlers that only have 10 acres or less
mentors have shown me how I can train on 10 acres and be very effective
I can haul out to get bigger outruns when needed
I can visit friend's who have bigger places to work/rent sheep
I can work for sheep people to get bigger work
I can train understanding close at hand before stretching it out
I can work my dogs through tension of being close to sheep
stop comparing personal situations to other's (focus on my choice)
stop allowing other's comments/opinions to foxtail their way into my head (be a duck)
Step 4: Make a plan
I'm now making my plan that includes a bit of mental retraining. Some of my stinking thinking, muscle memory is quite strong, or maybe more the homing instinct of the chased-off dragons is strong.
I find putting all this down in writing helps me to stay to my plan on days like today. Today, after a very successful trial weekend but not much sleep, crappy eating and a LONG drive home.....I might entertain the idea of taking a break. But then, I look at my real goals and plan of action and I know, I just need to take some time for self care. I think I'll go make a green juice and head back to bed....NOT. Instead, I will be thankful for my slice of Heaven knowing it is enough, then I'll make a green juice and
Seize the Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment