Tuesday, January 21, 2014

How Bad Do You Want It?

Did you see the post game interview with Richard Sherman?  No?  Check it out...



Facebook has blown up over this interview with folks calling Sherman a "thug" "poor sport" "no class"....the list goes on.  Today I read an article in the Huffington Post... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/isaac-saul/what-richard-sherman-taught-us_b_4631980.html
be sure to watch the video where the Sea Hawks coach is interviewed.

I've been fascinated by Sherman for a long time.  30 for 30 did a feature on him; his life and how it has unfolded amazes me.  As one who studies mental management and sport psychology, I loved getting an uncensored look into the mind of one of the best ever in that post game interview.  The interview was raw....Sherman just had the play of his life....a play that allowed his team a nod to the Super Bowl.  He is the real deal and I loved that peek into the mind of a champion.  I don't get to see the "real" look very often.  I get the scripted blah blah but not deep bottom soul belief in oneself.  I want a dose of that.

A good friend told me a story the other day, "There was a cowboy I know who was physically impaired in his lower back and his legs were immobile.  He bound his legs in the stirrups when he rode. Needless to say that's very dangerous.  He became a champion roper despite his disability.  He gave motivational speeches to help people.  He shared that he lived by one mantra self questions, "How bad do you want it?" So, how bad do you want it?"

I look at Sherman and see a man who has let nothing keep him from his want.  I look deeper into myself.  I'm on a journey, a journey filled with a deep desire, and as I live it I ask myself "how bad do you want it?"  I put in the time, there are days where I am not very good, improvement is measured in seconds, I've been told I can't live my dream, I've been encouraged to settle for right where I am now, I've been surrounded by love, understanding, a kick in the pants, and a bit of motivation.  When I accomplish my want.....I will cross the finish line with my arms above my head (if I can lift them) and know that deep in my soul I am the best me I can be.  That is what I learned from Sherman and his uncensored passion for his want.  Nothing will stop me.  I find myself needing to ask for help as I am doing things I have never done before. I will seek out those who believe in my want with a commitment to seeing it through.  I find myself on a journey of deep, profound private digging knowing the only things that hold me back are myself and fear.  How bad do I want this??  I want it bad enough that I won't quit, I won't lessen my passion, I will soldier on and surround myself with those who believe, speak truth, support, challenge, lift me up, kick my ass, and at the end of the day will be there when I cross that finish line.

On the other hand, I watched a 30 for 30 last night about Tanya Harding.  I left that show knowing that I want to be counted in the Sherman category of one who believes in oneself and leaves no room for blaming.  There are no limitations to me becoming the best me I can be!  In fact, no one can be a better me than I can! 

How bad do you want it??

Seize the Day!

1 comment: