![]() |
| photo by Jenny Glen |
![]() |
| photo by Jenny Glen |
![]() |
| photo by Kerri Back Photography |
What's a girl to do?
![]() |
| photo by Kerri Back Photography |
I've taken a little break from trialing and teaching lessons; this winter I've put my name out to work in the trenches. I really enjoy the "real work" on so many levels. Some of my younger dogs are getting to take a turn at jobs and it's so amazing to see the understanding develop. When I close the gate on a tough job, the level of pride I feel for my dogs is just darn right amazing. It's in the real work that I find myself again, how I train, how I communicate, all things relationship. The sense of the job brings clarity and understanding.....my corrections become help, I can laugh at the ridiculousness when things go south. These are the qualities in me that I would like to take back onto the trial field.
As I live my life out.....I am really beginning to see how much mental discipline is something that is worked on and developed much like strength and endurance. Strength and endurance don't just happen, I work at them. Eric Orton from The Cool Immposible writes: "It is easy to perform when things are going well, but just like in life, 'real' performance is about how we act after we think, being aware, and continuing to perform when things "seem" to be wrong.But in reality, the only thing that is wrong is this flawed thinking in the moment. Can you perform when your thinking goes south? Can you be aware when thinking goes wrong? Can your mind perform when you want the current situation to be different?
I tell my athletes, everyone has negative thoughts; it is what we do with the negative thoughts that separate the elite thinkers from the average thinkers in sport. This is important to understand. We all have negative thoughts, no one is immune. The first step is to understand this and realize avoidance is not the target. And, when we do have these thoughts it doesn’t mean we are not mentally strong. The mentally strong have trained and perfected how to respond to challenging times, which inevitably produce negative feelings. So the take home here is do not beat yourself up if you have bad thoughts during your performance, EXPECT IT and then MODIFY IT."
I jump from Eric's thesis of practicing, training and perfecting response to negative feelings to practicing running my dogs the way I train...and then being true to myself when things go south just as much as when the run goes well. For me, it's something that requires work and thoughtful practice to strengthen this to begin to become my strong muscle memory. As I delve in, I see the dogs begin to relax and give back with greater understanding, consistency and relationship. Funny how it all comes back to me........and there in lies my hope.
Seize the Day!






Very good post/blog. It reminds of a quote from Jack K. "Train like you trial and trial like you train."
ReplyDeleteNice one. Read it over and over. This one hits very close to home. Being an athlete (ex) I loved your version of the parallelogram. Mental strength and mental quietness have been one of my learning issues this year for sure. Thank you for this one! Carpe diem - stay present.
ReplyDelete