I just got home from a JK clinic...he was hosted down in Hopland and I took advantage of the opportunity to get some insight on Dot. Dot's mama comes from his lines plus he has her sister; I was hopeful he could add some insight and direction for me with Dot.
The first day out, Ms. Dot looked "good" while she was worked.....still wrongs to be corrected but not THE wrong I was looking to show. Dot has a little habit of walking on to sheep and when they start to move, she likes to slide off.....even the slightest of slides has had sheep turning back on her and the forward, that was so hard earned, is lost. At the end of the first day, I admit I was a little bummed that MY issue had not been under the spotlight......Dot was holding out on me.
The second day was just about darn near perfect! The dog before Dot had a little bit of trouble on the sheep and set Dot up perfect. I almost jumped up and down with glee when Dot did her Dot Thing and started the forward motion of the sheep..... then did a tiny slide. Jack, ever the dog observer, saw and the sorting began! Here is what I learned about Dot: She likes to use her body to move sheep. There I have it......I need to help her use her eye and keep her from using her body habit.
After three days of a clinic, three days of seeing and talking and learning......I came home yesterday and moved sheep with Dot. It was darn right amazing to see Dot begin to understand and apply what she had learned from her JK clinic experience. And I bet if you read her blog she would tell you....how bloody excited she was to see me applying all that I had learned from three days of a JK clinic as well!
The sorting continues......
Seize the Day!
Nice synopsis of what I saw on Day Two (the only day I was there). I'm glad that the rest of the clinic turned out to be helpful for you and Dot! :-) So fun to see you there! :-) Dot is a really nice dog.
ReplyDeleteIt was awesome seeing you, Billy. We seem to be the small group of die-hard sheepdog bloggers....and I say....soldier on! I love reading you, am glad you read me, and we get to share this journey, every-now-and-then, in person and most certainly through our key boards! Look forward to seeing you down the road!
ReplyDelete