I trialed at Magnolia Farms over the weekend.....and was lazy and did not take one photo. We camped about a good 1/4 mile from the trial field and it was hot. Plus I ran three dogs....so hauling the camera and the dogs with me seemed silly..until now as I blog and I wish I had photos to go along with my story!
Sally and Nell ran open and I must confess I enjoyed the learning process with each. Saturday, Sally and I did not get our shed....leaving 30 points on the field! That fact alone gave me great thinking material for the night......as I asked myself, "what am I (emphasis on the I) doing so that Sally does not want to come through for the shed. Sunday....we got our shed. And it was earned....not a gimme like Nell's shed from Saturday. Sally's shed felt great and I have some better understanding on how to help my dog. Besides the opportunistic shed in the form of two black-faced lambs that could have cared less about their friends....Nell's run started out "off" with Nell hunting pressure and me grumpy about being forced to climb the Mt. Everest straw mountain. I spent a part of the run attempting to get Nell to realize this run is supposed to be team work and not 90% Nell and 5% me (the remaining 5% being good luck on those black-faced lambs). That effort in having Nell recognizing the team spirit of trialing made for a fabulous run on Sunday with a not so fabulous ewe. No money...nor points...but I was very happy for how my girls worked for me.
Bella ran pronovice both days. I employed some of the ideas presented at the recent clinics and evaluated the result (or lack there of) as the run proceeded. Hmm...no softening on the outrun with "speaking to" and a stop and blow out did not solve the "not so right" top. However, the sheep were set on hay leaving some wiggle room and I was able to get ahold of Bella which made for two nice runs ending with the gate closing on the pen X2.
Yesterday I used Gyp to move the rams into greener pastures to graze while I visit Idaho. The rams were crafty and Gyp had to work hard to cover and move them. I was fun to see her method being correct and her finding some feel. Since arriving in Idaho...I have not seen hide nor hair of either of those qualities. It appears light katahdin lambs are not her training friends. And those lambs have made it abundantly clear that Bella and I still have work to do, although she looks much better. Bella needs to finish her outrun well no matter what the sheep do, bending out might be a better answer than falling in, and she MUST stop. The quest of understanding, trust, confidence and obedience continues......this journey does not appear to have any radical miraculous answers but instead is going to take time.
Idaho is hot right now.....over 90 which really does bring out the most negative qualities in my personality! I'll trek back home to cooler and greener tomorrow but have most certainly enjoyed my visit. Tomorrow, I'm hoping to put a little more time on Bella and give Sal and Nell a spin before we get in the van for the ride home.
Seize the Day!
Hey, I emailed you a link to the photos I took so you can use them in your blog. Let me know if you did not get it.
ReplyDeleteMorgen
mmagnuson@charter.net