Wednesday, August 10, 2011

First Pages of Autumn

Spring was growing up on a small ranch in Central Oregon. There I learned love of animals, that hard work paid off, and that my roots ran deep to country life.  It was high school volleyball, 4-H and FFA, fun fair memories that left a hole when the those days ended.  It was frat hopping and short black leather mini skirts! College and a trip to China that would change my life forever.

Summer brought a man, and babies.  Swim lessons, visits to Santa. baseball, basketball, football...endless activities raising up boys into men.  Agility and long road trips and fabulous family vacations. I've sold toys and make-up...been president of too many youth sporting clubs as well as class mom well into the high school years.  It was always easy to deny the change of my seasons....what with all those mouths to feed and bodies coming in and out the door.

This weekend, I lived my first day of Autumn. Funny how it does not look much different that the last day of summer.  The leaves are still green, the grass dried with summer sun....but Autumn it is.  No longer will I get up in the middle of the night to check the number of cars in the driveway.  The laundry has lessened to once a week.  The fridge still has a lot of the food in it that I bought a week ago.  And the counters are clean...no longer are there bottles of vitamins and supplements....nor huge buckets of protein powder. 


Son number two was delivered safely into the hands of the football coaching staff at Eastern Washington University.

He fit snugly into the roll of incoming freshman......comfortable in his skin and anxious to get going with his next chapters of spring.


I'm very thankful for good friends, a loving man, and four legged creatures that will keep life ever exciting....and the ability to look at absence as if they were off to camp!



May my Autumn experience a long Indian Summer!

Seize the Day!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations for you and your son!! My autumn moment occurred this past April when we moved Mike's mom to an assisted living place in town (actually about 6 weeks after she moved)and though I miss our daily chats, I'm seizing the time that is before me now.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of creepy internet hugs to you. I hope the transition goes as well as it possibly can.

    Is this the cougar dancing son?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making it to Autumn. May it be a long and glorious one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post... You have such a neat family.

    ReplyDelete