Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cool Day

I had a really cool day today....Nell and I got asked to take 30 ewes and their single lambs on "walk-about", so to speak.  I felt almost mature as I dropped two string electric fences, just as I had been taught, and then "learned" how to get 30 moms and their single lambs to go over that dropped electric fence.  I kept reminding myself of the things I have learned about flock work over the past month. All about pressure and how you apply it.....letting the lead ewe have some time to figure out that fence was dropped.....patience baby!  Nell thought waiting patiently was a bit boring and gave thought to making a fight with that one ewe with the curious lamb.  We talked that idea through.  Then she wanted to push when the lead ewe had started taking a few ewes with her into the new pasture.  Instead we found it better to let them go and give them all time to sort out the two wires on the ground.

One of the pastures I had to trail the sheep through was that infamous field where Bella and I had left 217 yearling lambs behind.  With rolling terrain and fencing that opened up behind a house (for goodness sakes) I can see how Bella did not get them all...darn it anyway!  Thank God the shepherd had taken time to draw a map for my duty today, otherwise the sheep just might have ended up in the neighbor's flock!  But no, I found the secret passageway into the single mom's housing, dropped another fence and wished them luck as they walked by. 

I walked through two big fields today, one had been tiled for drainage, the other not.  WOW!  I am a believer in tile now.  I've always considered putting it in at my place but the cost has been prohibitive.  The amount of standing water when comparing the two fields was amazing.  Not that the tiled field did not have any....just way less and very sporadic.

As I left the task that had been assigned, I raised each fence and walked back to the truck.  It was a beautiful sunny day and my Nell had been a good partner.  Working ewes with lambs is not the easiest of tasks and she is really starting to understand the differences in what is presented.  Closer at hand, when it made sense, she had a nice little pull-in.....we have work to do with that on her outrun!  Tomorrow my pregnant ewes are schedules to be sheared. This evening, I tucked them into the barn so they could be dry for the event.  And I do believe the sun is planning on making an appearance.

Seize the Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment