A friend of mine told me a story of one of his runs at Trailing of the Sheep. He had a rogue ewe that ended up running back up into the mountains on one of his runs.....his story was a good one, reminding me that if indeed, I made it to TOTS, my "goals" would need to be realistic and "myself" to not be taken too serious! After my two runs with Nell at the finals, I was looking forward to relaxing, experimenting and taking some self imposed, first world pressure off myself.
The days dawned early, those in charge of the trial "morning people" and just as important, conscientious about getting all 54 dogs their time on the field. It was cool watching the sheep get moved from the overnight pen to the top end, in the dark, only the lights of the four wheelers giving a glimpse of ghost-like sheep moving in and out of the foggy, dust swirl they were creating. The first day, Nell ran early and I loved how we worked together....getting around with a nice shed..but no pen. The day showed how challenging the sheep were....not a pen was to be had. A very good friend texted me that he was seeing consistency in Nell....time to get to work on what points I was leaving on the field.
Bella, Bella...Bella Mia.....let's just say "she brought them"! She was tense and lit and I walked, much to the surprise of the announcer and the judge and the exhaust.....I was getting around but with no "relationship", it was the tense Bella show. Bella was on her own agenda...so I walked. And I thought.....life is about "relationship".....how do I "get" Bella to want to work with me?? She is so different from Nell, not that Nell hasn't had days, months, years of thinking it would be better if I sat in the truck while she ran. How do I get in Bella's head? What does Bella need from me? What I do know is: I would rather not run her than have her run all over the sheep and me...and I believe she does this out of tension and not naughtiness. In the instant of a lift, she turned nice sheep into wolf-fearing, reactionary sheep...and kept that theme on the first end of the fetch. Once settled, the tension was dipped into time and again, her dysfunctional habit of dealing with stress. I get it...I live Bella's life...I love chocolate and birthday cake when my sheep of life get out of control......neither of our reactions to stress provide the desired outcome and I think we both feel like crap when it is over!
After watching, then not watching, my first run with Bella from LaCamas, I have been searching my soul as to which first world issues keep me from doing what my dog needs at a trial and staying at the post, filling hot air balloons instead. Ego? Pride? That crazy, bitchy side of myself that wants to "make" my dog? The balloon fills to capacity when I look at "others" and their journey with their dogs. The cool, quiet, beautiful people who pip along while their dogs lie down with the enthusiasm that one of mine would eat bacon! And then I open the escape hatch....the hot air rises and the balloon deflates....becoming just the material that can be folded and put back into that box that needs a shipping label to get the hell out of here. My dogs, my journey..funny how I have just what I need to become;....and maybe just maybe, as I live a good, honest story and keep digging deep with my relationship with Bella, I can find the ability to keep on, find answers in myself and along the way, to be as kind and forgiving of myself as I am of my dog.
Seize the Day!
Wow! Awesome post! You give your readers so much to think about. And, the fact that your posts revolve around working stock is a bonus!
ReplyDelete