A long time ago, in a world that feels far, far away, a friend from a past life told me...."do what makes you happy." This advice came on the tail end of a disappointing trial season.....the disappointment falling on myself and who I had become. I had sort of lost sight of how I trained, the importance of relationship, and the joy that comes when focus is "right". I've thought long and hard about those five words "do..what...makes...you...happy". What does make me want to get out of bed in the morning? What makes my heart beat?
When it comes to dogs, I love watching a dog sort and learn....two parts natural instinct mixed with one part input from me. I double love watching a dog sort out sheep in real working situations. The confidence that comes from shutting the gate on a task and knowing the work was done, together...and done well.
I love riding out on a cool morning, climbing hills, Bella running by my side looking out and knowing...there is a job to be done today.
Watching a dog sort out its first look at a mob of "old croppers", which by the way are older bigger lambs being sold for bigger weights, finding courage and understanding how to move the bolder of the mob....well, it always takes me breath away to see the dog unfold into being useful.
Working together, my dogs and me, to help take a mob of sheep to a new field......doing a job, making it easier, smoother, less stressful.....makes me so proud of all that my dogs are.
I know happiness can be so fleeting...I also know it can be a side effect of right focus. I think, more than being "happy" I am seeking those daily captured moments where relationships are nurtured, deepened, solidified......those moments come putting in the time while staying present and doing the work.
This.....this is what makes my heart beat!
Seize the Day......
....make life extraordinary!







No comments:
Post a Comment