Monday, December 11, 2017

Be Careful What You Wish For

I was telling my friend, just the other day, that if I were 30 years younger....I'd run commercial sheep. Then the weekend happened....and I realized....I an not 30 years younger!  hahahahah


The first day started with frozen fog and a 300 acre field filled with lambs.....somewhere.


The goal was to sort off a handful of those lovely Romney crosses right there at the back.



After a super wet fall on newly planted annual rye grass, I quickly realized the Boss Lady was right and this was not going to be an easy task; not easy or clean!


With the help of an entire village, we got 'er done.  I can never figure out how sheep producers do it without a good dog.....because Bella was a rock star.  Even at 10, she can cut off lambs and hold the pressure.

Day two was at home sorting off round lambs to go back to the Boss Lady and sorting the new lambs into smaller groups.  Sorting, moving, loading, and working...I was a mini sheep operation.  Sis got most of the work till the end when Bella came out with experience trumping training.  My place is coming together but I see holes that need addressed to make the work a little smoother. That and not brining in border cheviots again....ever!  Next time I ask for the cute little border cheviots Boss Lady is supposed to say NO!!!  Wicked creatures from Hell!

After tromping through calf-deep mud the day before.....the hard frozen ground at my place was like working out on cement! When I finally walked in the house at 4 it was all I could do to cook dinner and not go to bed!   And so today, Bella and I are sore, tired and a little grateful that the Boss Lady's crew can handle the work on the preggers today without us.  I think I'll just stick with being Boss Lady's intern......it's a great life.



Seize the Day.

ps all photos by Boss Lady......


No comments:

Post a Comment