Sunday, April 29, 2018

Three Years

It is hard to believe that it was three years ago, right now, when I first laid eyes on this homestead of mine.  Some days, I kick myself for not taking pictures of the progress.......but pictures really never do justice to what was compared to what is now.  Every year, I've ticked off the list of things to accomplish to get to THIS year......where the big list is, hopefully, marked as DONE!  Next dry spell, fingers crossed, the fence guy is coming and will do a big blackberry genocide with is mulching machine and my south west fence will get gussied up and sheep secure.  I've got a field improvement project lined out for July that will bring life back to the corner 6 acres.  My dream has been to do a corner to corner outrun of somewhere close to 650 yards.  Dreams come true, baby!

Spring is the time where my to-do list can feel overwhelming!  I have to remind myself about the seasons of life...and also, there really isn't much else I'd love to be doing that the good soul work of this ranch.  With my little bottle baby, who really is being fed by her mama pretty well now, there have been a lot of visitors to the ranch to feed her.  The joy of this lamb, feeding chickens, gathering eggs.....amazing to share with the families that come out.  They leave with a love for this life and I know in my heart...I've won.  I've brought people closer to their roots of food source and how soul nourishing raising food can be.  Time to put the garden in!!!

My bees did not do well over winter. Thank God I have a friend that was willing to do a bee co-op last year.  I gave her most of my never ending splits and swarms and this year...she is giving two splits back.  I'll re queen them all...especially the small hive I have left.  Hoping to do that this coming week so the hive is good and strong come what blackberry season.  I love having a good honey crop.  The Queen dealer only has Italian queens right now so Italians it is for me.  I might wait on one of the splits to see if I can drop in a Carni queen. The death of that hive was very sad for me this year.

The puppies are not really puppies any more, but they will always be to me.  They are coming along nicely and yet are so different in work style.  I love the challenge of seeing them for where they are and trying to challenge them and bring them along at their own pace.  Sis is really fun right now. She feels good and is back to her very enthusiastic self. We are working on outruns and shedding......in additions to her being number one chore dog. Bella works a little but she is physically not able to do the hard things any more.  In her head she is wonder dog...but her body just can't do the fast covers.

The biggest change here is Miss Gloria, my mini horse.  After years of foundering in her past life, she was beginning to founder here and I have no where to dry lot her.  She went to live with my cousin at a horse barn for a few weeks to get her off grass and see how she felt about being a horse without sheep friends....she did great.  After weeks of not being able to get her over the mountain due to snow, Horses of Hope and I finally hooked up!  They met Gloria, fell in love with her (like I totally knew they would!) and Miss G is now a therapy horse in their program.  The stories they tell about the autistic kids and adults that have fallen in love with Gloria bring tears and joy that help fill the hole of not having her here.  She really is such a special pony......I'm glad to have been what she needed when she needed it.  Best news is....I get to see her regularly and I've joined the Horses of Hope board.  I'm looking forward to that involvement over the coming years.

I've been doing the 5 minute journal for the past year......it starts in the morning with 3 things I am grateful for, 3 things that would make today great, and daily affirmations.  "I see the tiniest of miracles and stop to celebrate them.  I live in the moment, fully present."  Oh there are days I fail miserably.....  but those slices of miracles....it's a great life.

Seize the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment