Monday, March 9, 2009

What a great weekend.....

Starting out Friday afternoon, I had a lesson with Patrick Shannahan up at Brigand's Hideout. I showed him my Nell...and then we worked Sally. It was sunny and almost warm. As always, I learned more in an hour then my brain could actually hold!
Saturday morning, I was up WAY before the sun to go check that ewe that was thinking of having her lambs...and then on the road to Sedro Woolly...a good 5+ hours north of me. Here is what Snook thought of the first part of the drive.....she must not trust me as she is sleeping with her eyes open!
And when she realized that we were going to a sheepdog trail.....then she got interested and started telling me how to drive.....
I made it to the trial site.....just after a brief visit of snow.....and took this terrible picture (nice snow fence!) but I tried to get the feel of the vastness of the field. The sheep were set way up at the top of that hill...and the handlers post was way back to the left of the pen. It "felt" big and long to me.
What a lovely trial...a great way to take a look at what I had learned at my lesson just the day before. On the good side, Sally took her blow out whistle and we got our shed. Nell had her coming out party into pro novice and, though it was nothing to write home about, she worked nice for me...we timed out on the cross drive. What I learned..., I might consider doing a little course work with Nell...laughing to myself! And Nell will be put on whistles before I run her again....ugh on standing at the post yelling my commands! And Sally....well, I am working on where Sally needs to be on each group of sheep. I think once I begin to consistently see where she needs to be, feel where she needs to be, and apply where she needs to be....it will start coming together with Nell more as well. I left the trial with all those thoughts on my mind....and did not even look at my scores...guess I'll have to wait until Dirk posts them! Until then.....
Seize the day!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful field! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lora,
    Yeah, I chickened out going because of the iffy weather forecast. I hate driving in snow. Last time they predicted 3-4cm and we got 10! Turned out our weather was just fine all day and yesterday too...this morning we got a skiff of snow. Sun came out at noon & melted most of it away already. I sure hope to go to the next one though.

    ReplyDelete