I have been chasing my tail. The whole Gyp Adventure...led into a lesson with Patrick.....one that I stepped into, for the first time ever in my training with him, WITHOUT a list of where I was with each dog joined along side all my questions and over thinking thoughts. When I said this....Patrick did not even blink but said...well, just go out and work your dog and we can have a look. Amazing. And what I took away from my time was a whole "new to me idea" on handling.
The very next weekend found me down at the Border Collie Training Center achieving one of my 2011 vision board goals...working with Alasdair MacRae.
I have to admit...I was kind of nervous. Having met him just a few times and always admiring his skill with the dogs, sheep and a course....I was not exactly sure what I wanted to work on with Nell, the dog of choice. The clinic showed me so very much...what Nell has, what Nell needs...and the good, bad and ugly of my handling.
| Nell running a course at the Alasdair MacRae clinic |
I'm beginning to sort out each of my dogs...assessing what they have that I like, what they need better understanding on, and what I need to "learn" them.....and yet again, what might be what it is. Miss Gyp has decided that she is a super keen working sheepdog and is cheating her stop....after listening to Alasdair (and reviewing the input from others!) I have decided that she just might need a tummy to the grass lie down on her. We will be working on this, the girls and me, because at the end of the day...I believe I am more of the problem when it comes to a functional "lie down"!
As April wraps up and I begin to look ahead to the 2011 trial season, I am starting to get very excited to get the girls out there and see what they look like. Besides trials, June is a whirl-wind for me as I am hosting a Kathy Knox clinic here in the valley as well as running the fun little Turner trial. Thanks to the support of friends and fellow handlers...both are filled to the brim and promise laughter and good learning times!
Now if the sun could just keep showing its beautiful golden face......
Seize the Day!!!!
PS for those who wonder: the bold badger did NOT audit the clinic! I think it might have packed its bags and moved on to visit another colony of ground squirrels. However, the huge holes were left behind....much to the dismay of the MacRaes.
Would like to hear your "new to me idea" :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a great time. I admire you.