This past weekend found me down in Tulelake, California at one of my favorite trials; Dry Lake. The field was what I would imagine the West to have looked like before too much civilization came along. Driving down a gravel road through high desert, sage brush and juniper trees with volcanic lava rock strewn about like rice after a wedding, got us to the mile long grass field. A herd of antelope skittered across my path early Sunday morning but more common was the Byrne cattle grazing the open range.
Long and wide, the field looked deceivingly flat from the post. However, if a person walked the outrun the land would tell a different story....one of much terrain and, from the dogs level, blind to the sheep either way. The sheep were set at 600 yards....left provided a fence quite some distance from the fetch line and all the way up to the set-out pens. Right had a little ridge that if the cards played out just right....a dog could see the sheep from and plan out the rest of their outrun.
Lana's sturdy red four wheeler sat just off the back side of the field ready to help the many crazy scenarios that came up...only in Tulelake. Racing out onto the trial field to nab the flock of sheep that escaped from the exhaust and were quick footing it up the field to the set out 800 yards away! Giving a ride to the handler whose dog had scope and was sure the white wrapped haylage bales that were off on the range with the cows some mile away were HIS sheep. Helping to drive, lure, cajole, push that mama and her new lamb...the one that the set out folks lambed out in between sets.....up to the barn for shelter and overnight protection.
My first time to the post with Nell, I reminded myself that she was new to open. This year will be filled with providing "experience" for her...working on our communication and trust. From the post, I thought she saw the sheep, she ran out 500 so very nice and I was hopeful. And then, it happened....she came in, I could not get her to blow out, she crossed and looked everywhere she could think of to find what I had sent her out on only to come back sure I was a fool. The trial host and judge were so incredibly supportive of the dogs that they told us at the handler's meeting we could help our dogs find the sheep that one day. So Lana's trusty four wheeler was brought out to me....and Nell and I raced up the field. When Nell finally saw the sheep....she gave me the dirtiest look of "why did you not tell me so" and we fetched them to the exhaust.
Bella had her go in pro novice on a course that was shortened to the fetch panels but still a good 300 yards away. The wind is famous down in that area, though generally not so full of itself at the end of May. With it blowing straight into my face at chapping speeds and combined with sheep that were frisky to set, I asked Geri to have my new friend ready to role "just in case". Indeed, trial Bella lifted the sheep much too tight, kicked one off, and started the chase. I jumped on the ready four wheeler and flew up the field, pulling up about 20 feet from Bella and telling her that she had better lie down. The look on her face....."where did you come from", "you have never done this at a trial" and the huge skid mark she left as she laid down were worth the entry fee for my pro novice run!
All in all, the trial was amazing, wonderful, fun....I could go on and on. My girls did so great; not winning money or getting points, but working hard to be a partner with me. I finished the course twice on Sunday...with Nell and Sally....that after not getting my shed on Saturday and Nell not getting up the field. I continue to see how much I need to work on in myself. The journey continues. I am thankful for trials that allow for the challenge to be such a positive gain.
Seize the Day!
Love :)
ReplyDelete