Sit down....we've hit 81 degrees here in the valley......almost too hot to do much of anything due to the fact I have been living in the 50's! My arms have color, my face has color, my dogs got a little conditioning in and now, it is raining! Oh well, it was a good sample of what lies ahead. The promise of spring, sunshine, good dog work, and more lambs.
I had the really fun opportunity to pick the brain of a top open handler that I've always respected and enjoyed watching run. Don Helsley was up north and I have been really longing to have some of my "how does dog work relate to horse training" questions answered...or at least chewed on as I am not sure there is a spoken word answer to that line of questioning. Don has a sharp, skating wicked, sense of humor and no trickery on my part could lead him from discussing "STOP" with me. I almost pinched him to see if he was actually another trainer I respect in disguise. After the stop whipping, the talk about nerves, fear, ego, relationship and dogs gave me over thinking fodder to get me to, the least, Big Willow.
One thing I loved most about my time with Don; he runs a near relative, some sort of kissing cousin, to my Bella. As I shared with him some of my training with Bella, things I see in her and why I think I see them, he was able to share similarities from his dog. In fact, he was able to get that dog out and show me ways to help Bella gain understanding to what I am trying to help her with. I laughed as I explained to Don that I thought the sheep at Big Willow will be a great test to see if Bella is "getting" what I am trying to help her with. I casually asked if Don planned on attending Big Willow this year and he said, "I'm judging a day!" Well, so much for true confession being good for the soul. Death to pride and ego! Going to tattoo that on the back of my wrist...right next to
Seize the Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment