Yesterday I wrote and posted a blog...and then thought about it and fretted about people misinterpreting what I had written. Thankful for a reader comment....it confirmed I did not do a very good job of expressing myself with written word...I talked through my thoughts with another friend. Here is what I meant to say:
I have been thinking about the mental game of competition. Mental Management fascinates me! Not only because I am a competitor but because many in my family are as well. I have discussions with my college football playing son about mental management all the time. I have dialog with friends, all of whom I respect as handlers and trainers.....we talk about mental management and ideas that fall "outside the box" of traditional training. I then do my homework of analyzing what, if any, self limiting beliefs I hold that might need to be addressed; old tapes destroyed, walls torn down, bridges built, baby muscles strengthened to create stronger memory.
For me, Mental Management does not apply just to sheepdog trials....it is life; weight control, negative thought control, relationship development. I believe looking at thoughts, habits, actions and their application to goals and dreams is important in my life. I'm not sure I ever want to fall into auto-pilot when it comes to my brain.....partially because of my upbringing and partially because of my own personal choices that have created strong Neuroconnections, some of which I am working on lessening while I build up new and positive, powerful connections that will serve me better.
When handler friend says to me, "I am going to a specific trial to get points", without judgement, I wonder about that statement. I have not said that in my life of sheepdog trialing. Why? Because truth be told there are days I just hope to get around. So I have taken a step back and am looking at my fears and how I address them as I head off to a sheepdog trial...namely Heppner, where sheep are feed little dogs for afternoon tea snacks! Thin sliced with a bit of cucumber and cream cheese.....crust of bread trimmed off. This will be my third Heppner.....second with the two open dogs I am running now...each of which ran one day last year because of personal commitments non-dog related by me! How does one find the confidence to head out seeing points.....time, miles, experience, confidence, precise training, good/strong mental game? This fascinates me. My Heppner goals are to 1) finger whistle with nuances (and not just different tones of loud) 2) remain calm at the post 3) be a good, fair, and helpful partner to my dog 4) remember the Gambler song is applicable...and yes, Heppner would indeed be a good trial to get points at!
Though it can be very vulnerable to share the process of working through Mental Management, I am going to be doing some of that this year. I am thankful for my friends who will talk to me about Mental Management Strategy with authenticity and transparency. I look to those who are successful in other arenas of life to provide tools as well. As one of my "mentors" from antoher world tells me, "sheepdog trials are about the most challenging dog sports I have ever seen" there are so many influences to a run that are beyond the control of the handler participant. My job is to make darn sure I have the tools to control what I can....including my brain!
Seize the Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment