Sunday, March 31, 2013

Becoming

 
 
"You’re not working with just a machine; you’re working with a mind. The horse is a thinking, feeling, decision-making animal and each one has a distinct personality.
But the human always acts superior. The human thinks it's smarter; it always wants to have things its way and right now. It wants to be boss.
If trouble comes up, the human turns it into a contest with the horse. But if you do that, watch out.............you just may lose." ~ Ray Hunt
 
I'm working a new dog. The ins and outs of this new dog are not important.....the learning and opportunity she is giving me is something I am thankful for every day.  I'm starting from scratch with this young dog; this time eyes wide open, mind watching for details and absorbing all she is trying to show me. Where there were days and even months where I felt Bella was being so "bad".  I've learned that dogs really don't have that mission statement or agenda.  They don't try to be "bad". 
In the past I used to lament being here "by myself", hardly a  local trainer available for regular lessons.  This time I am sort of enjoying the challenge of sorting this myself.  Every day, digging deep to see if what I am doing is creating a better relationship of understanding.
 
I'm not really alone so to speak...I've been watching the Buck Clinics, talking on the phone to those I respect, watching runs intently; but when I go out to work Dot (that is her name btw) I am relying on all that I have learned from my past of learning.  I'm also really working hard at listening to that inner voice.....the one that says "hey you are not being fair", "you might want to change your approach to this", or "keep at it, understanding is coming". The thing about Dot is...it would be real easy to slip into what Ray Hunt calls a "contest"....one of using force to make her do what I want her to do.  Instead, I want her to use her brain and attitude...because I believe its all in there when she does.
 
I recnetly had the opportunity to work her with a person I respect very much...seeing him two days in a row.  I'll admit, I was a little nervous. Dot had only worked with me off my place once before and we have spent more time than I can put here discussing "that'll do" and "lie down" and "respect"...I think Buck would call this ground work while others might call it preparation.  The notion of walking on a leash with me and not taking off to run at the sheep just because we walked through a gate into a field of sheep has been hard earned. I've passed on working Dot with another friend/mentor/trainer because when the months of advance notice for sign up was announced, she was not ready. So when an offer came up with short notice I felt it was time to get some feedback.
 
The lessons were fabulous:  for the outside world, Miss Dot was not a rock star taking the spectators breaths away with her brilliance.....but she was a rock star and breath taker in my mind.  Each day she learned and tried and gave and worked with us, the clinician and me.  I saw her opening up and blooming a little rose bud just starting to realize how freaking beautiful she is going to be.  And you know what?  I felt myself blooming a little too.  The magic of my Heppner runs with Bella......everyone and everything blowing away, sandy particles, to leave just me and Bella and the sheep on the field....just us and now and nothing more...... happened again with my two day experience training with a friend/mentor/clinician.  My time was about looking at this dog on this day; seeing, sorting, observing, sharing and realizing that the answers for me will be within myself if I am open to sorting out what the dogs is "saying".  Discussion and 'what ifs' and 'how abouts' were all good.  And the final verdict for homework: Attitude.....if she has the correct attitude she will figure most of this out herself. 
 
The answers are within me.....I've had the most fortunate experiences of being able to train with some very knowledgeable folks in and outside the world of working border collies.  I've been allowed to drive all the way across the country to trial, fly all the way around the world to learn and bring back a dog.  Friends and mentors have encouraged unconventional ideas.....learn from a fabulous horse trainer they have said...so I've gone to a horse clinic, read a few books, signed up for newsletters.  A good friend told me, he believes that "OBSERVATION" is a huge key to success in training and trialing.  I've played with developing  stronger observation muscles.  The cake is iced with the quiet voice of before, during and after, don't be afraid to make a mistake....Don't Be Afraid To Make A Mistake......DON'T BE AFRAID TO MAKE A MISTAKE.
 
"The successful live on the edge and their gift is that, when they make mistakes, they respond so quickly that mear mortals don't even realize a mistake has been made" ~ ME
 
Seize the Day!!!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. The beginning of your post reminded me of the most important thing I was taught in my teacher preparation courses in collage. A student never gives you a wrong answer in class. If you can get to the logic they used to arrive at their answer, they are correct. I think that also applies to working dogs. They aren't "bad" or trying to "get us" like some trainers think. If you step back and look at things from the dog's perspective, their response is usually correct. The real question is, what have we as trainers subtly (or not so subtly) done that caused that reaction to the situation in the dog? Beginning to think in this way about my dog has gone a long way to change our working/training relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy reading your blog. I am new to the world of working border collies and find your words and your journey, about how you are digging down into yourself to learn how to be a better trainer, learning to leave the humanistic ego behind... so very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete