Monday, November 11, 2013

Four Might Be a Charm!

First, I want to say thank you to all of those who took time to write the kindest of words filled with encouragement and support.  The days are smoothing out the raw edges a little and the bottom of the wound is granulating, slowly starting to fill in. Memories swaddle the ache in balm and friends provide the compression bandage that holds my heart together while it gets used to the new Spark sized hole that's been left behind. I miss him. 

I am very glad I did not let grieving keep me from attending my fourth Scott Glen shedding clinic up at Fido's Farm.  The clinic was darn right amazing for me.  I'm not sure if I had heard the insight and wisdom that was shared before; if I have, it went in one ear and out the other.  Be to the fact that clinics are the bread and butter to clinicians, I am not one to tell the secrets of the trade with discussions about exercises and specifics with anyone other than those who paid to attend......but I will say the basic teaching was about ME!  Does that surprise anyone??  ME!  Yep, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME!!!! Pretty self centered and self absorbed, eh?

If I were a dog, I would have a bit of eye, a lot of come forward...and I might be a little "on the muscle"!  I'm working on cleaning up my flanks, having open flanks be my first go-to, coming on when I need to, learning to saunter, working smart and using the clock as my friend, working in the middle of the ring, managing my sheep without shutting them down, having a plan but being able to see the bigger picture as contingency plans unfold, if I am going to do something radical: do it wholly, find enjoyment in speed and movement, and biggest and most important, accurately reading my sheep.  I don't think there are any "secrets" to the above.....

I think my biggest issue is focusing so hard on understanding shedding....all those teeny tiny nuances that feel like the stars in the universe that come together to allow a shed, especially of the international variety.  I'm not sure I remember the exact process of learning to drive a car....but I'm sure shedding is a lot like that....it becomes more familiar over time with miles and experiences. It was easier to claim driving my own when I had a driving instructor who helped show me the ropes with the safety net of a brake on his side of the vehicle.   Hence why I continue to go to this shedding clinic; I hope to develop good habits by way of osmosis from the fellow who gets the best shed at big trials on a regular basis.  It was good to sort out my natural inclinations...that way I can work on developing muscle memory in a more productive fashion.  When I concentrate, my flanks get tight, I focus on the specific sheep I want to cut off and I squeeze.  I'm a maker!  Sheep don't like to be made......maybe if I were a more powerful dog I could 'make them' on more occasions but I need to become a crafty dog, so to speak.   Now it is time to develop some new natural inclinations while not going to far in the other direction.  It might be time to put my name in the hat for some big flock winter work again, with or without my dogs.

The journey continues and life lessons are scooped out and served up with side dishes: self evaluation, learning, improvement.  I always expect so much from my dogs.....I'm glad for clinics that are about accountability for me to step up to become who my dogs need and, for that matter, deserve.  Where earlier years, I focused all on the dogs.....now I see, again and again, how this really is about me.  Relationships can not be meaningful and deeply rewarding without both parties holding up their ends of the commitment.  My dogs give me so much.....I'm thankful for the opportunities to learn how to develop more in me to give back!

Seize the Day!

5 comments:

  1. What a great blog. It is such a journey and such a building of a partnership! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is about us, isn't it? Our dogs get it. They are the kind of working dog that we allow them to be--both the negative and the positive. This journey really is about us learning the proper handling skills to rise to the level of our dogs and form a working partnership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent blog. So much to ponder along the way...

    ReplyDelete