Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lambing School

Yesterday, I participated in a lambing school that was hosted by Oregon State University. I had participated a few years back at the OSU lambing barns....but was hoping to get some of my "more in-depth" questions answered. Little did I know that....wherever I go.....it seems to SNOW! I must admit this is getting just a little ridiculous....but...onward...... ...and UPWARD? Me....she who is afraid of heights.....had to climb stairs and cross big huge divides on planks of lumber without(#$&#+!!!) handrails....to the perch where the class was held. All the better to observe the pregnant ewes below in the holding area......I am sure!!!! Hey! I think this girl might be having a baby...or two! I totally wanted to go help...but NO we watched and she did just fine on her own....imagine that!
After the ewes lamb in the big holding area....and after they clean their lambs and do a bit of bonding.....they are moved into these jugs. I really like how they have metal feeders and water holders attached to the top panel of the jug.....keeping lambs from drowning in buckets.
All in all, it was a great day. I had to leave early to go feed my own sheep. I am looking forward to having lambs of my own real soon......all without that Mt. Everest experience of a bloody nose and vertigo from the observation pertch!
Seize the day!

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted a loft to sit in while I watch the ewes, but I would definitely have handrails!!! Sounds like it was a good day!

    Come on over to pick up your award!

    ReplyDelete