Sunday, November 18, 2012

Perfect.......Habits

Chapter two instalment of "Chez Clinic Experience`"......Habits.


Nell is the first dog I have trained to open....Bella is the second....these are the two dogs I am running right now.  Go figure that habits I have developed in myself as I trained them up stuck while I run them on an open trial field.   Light Bulb, Ah ha Moment! I get the progression of training the dogs but things I did when I ran them as youngsters have not gone away now that they are big girls.  An example is: when my dogs are young I generally stop them before I ask them for some new directions; either forward out of a flank, or flanking out of forward.  It does indeed help create a nice flank or tidy there for walking on.  The idea of losing this habit with my more trained dogs: giving stops I don't really mean as they have become more markers that something new is coming....well it was a darn interesting theory for lots of fabulous over thinking and tons of discussion in my mind!  Back to the idea: can I run stop-less?

I've also caught a slight case of panel-itis again.  Darn it anyway, those drive panels are so freaking hard to see for these eyes.  And I don't often practice, as in never, panels.  Maybe I need to practice panels for me to see if I am hitting them....oh and I do have another eye appointment.  All this said, I'm going to follow the prescription for panel-itis because this disease is affecting all the dogs the worse I get. 

Habits.....I guess that is a really good reason to keep attending clinics.....sometimes the development of habits are not readily seen by the habitor/habitee.  Clinics.....and watching taped runs of myself.....with a dash of looking at pictures from LaCamas!  Habits.....it's time to kick a few.....

Seize the Day!

5 comments:

  1. Ater my Friday lesson Obi Wan tasked with getting to the point of working Hank for 5 minutes on just steady. I am setting the same the same goal with Z. So guess what that means, I am working on stop and I mean stop and I will not blow a stop unless I am going to make it happen. If I can't make it happen I will suffer the consquence and only blow steady. They will both be good stoppers soon and if they are good stoppers than they will steady! It is going to be sooo hard for a while. And those clean flanks, I have to find them.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott once had me work an entire winter without stopping Hemp - not because I had stop problems, but because Hemp had pace problems. He wanted me to MAKE Hemp pace. I never got Hemp to pace perfectly but he was better than before and we improved alot. I got to the point where I was so used to not stopping him, I would forget I could and then it felt like a luxury.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make the right easy and the wrong difficult,,,,I guess it applies to handlers too. Been enjoying your bloggs the last couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog :) and that I got to watch the light bulb click on.

    Were you surprised to find the photos on the camera?

    ReplyDelete