Monday, November 19, 2012

Perfect........THE Stop

I've augured with myself over the next three chapter instalments of Chez Clinice`...THE Stop.  First, I really don't want to write about it. Second, I really don't have an issue with stopping (my dogs do!). Third,......never mind.  When I wrote chapter two: "habits", all my commenters went right to the stop...hey, quit reading ahead folks!  Then I go into defense mode: I do have a stop when I need one. I have a Jake Brake on all three dogs.  I've seen many a top respectable handler's dog not stop on occasion.  Stops are over rated.  blah blah blahblah blah!


Last year, after my stop-talk from Scott, I began to wonder if maybe HE had a stop obsession.  Maybe a pre-recorded stop session is a go-to when he is tired and just wants to put the lesson on cruise.  Funny, later in the year, when I worked with another clinician I respect, he talked about my stop too...of course it was a different voice with different words...calling it like HE saw it.  Diagnosis: two for two.


This time, my "stop lesson" did not really come out until Nell graced the field....and I actually told Scot that I was f'ing tired of this same lesson.  In fact, I had paid for it 6 times before, maybe this one could be free, eh?  (adding some Canadian to see if I could be better understood) He did the Cliff Notes version but added greater intensity.....perchance hoping this time it might sink in.  Break for a poll:

Do you prefer being spanked softer yet over a longer duration or being spanked super hard but only a few times? 


Okay, okay, I'll stop and get on to the meat of the subject....My Stop.  Because I use My Stop for so many different reasons, my dogs are never sure.  It is like I run them, "stop...kidding; stop...kidding; stop....how about I come up there and kick you ass, I said stop!".  In other words.....they never know if I really mean it......to stop this time or not stop this time, that is the question?  Funny how I have been to three shedding clinics and one private lesson specifically on shedding with each of my girls...and I know that each time I get greater understanding on shedding.  Though The Stop is black and white for some, it is a Joe's Walla Walla Sweet Onion for me......it does indeed make me cry and it apparently has layers! My challenge is....very similar to E O'B......just use the stop when I really mean it.  Otherwise....figure something else out to use! 


During the time spent in my pressure chamber, the one I use to acclimate myself back into the real world post clinic...I've had some serious ah-ha moments.  Stops and habits hold hands in my brain.  Starting out....I used to watch my dogs and was admonished to "watch your sheep".  Now I think I watch my sheep too much...so when I blow a stop, and my sheep move off line, I correct it without even looking at the dog.  It happened at Fire Ridge....I blew a stop for Bella, and glanced at her, just as she was hitting the deck (gasp she never has done this before!) I blew her over on a flank to cover those crazy fine wools booking from the release of pressure from my poorly timed and not really meant stop.

Funny, as I think back over the last chapters of my Chez C.....this is all about me.  The Whistles, The Habits, The Stop (use and abuse of)....it all comes back to me!  This is not about the dogs at all......it is about me!  Then this gets a little too real-life....."that there piece of really fabulous chocolate is not going to make you really feel better and might make your ass look fatter......oh but it tastes so amazing and for years it has gotten me by".  Sheepdoggin' - Life hold hands in my brain.

Whatever you're trying to do. You're capable of MORE. Don't settle. ~ Joel over at Impossible HQ

Seize the Day!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you said that about watching the sheep "too much." I had a moment in the clinic where I was overflanking on the fetch and Scott said to me, "It's like you want to see the dog take the flank" ... I was confused. I hadn't even *seen* the dog - I was just so piss poor at anticipating the sheep movement my timing was really bad. What looked to him like me watching the dog was actually me watching the sheep but SUCKING at reading them LOL.

    Thanks for sharing. I am still distilling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am starting to reap the fruits of my labor in the quest for stopping. But now I have another question that keeps coming into my mind, when do I want a stop for real no kidding? I have been a lot more thoughtful about blowing it only when I know I will get it or I can do something about it if it doesn't happen. I am still blowing it out of the back of my head, I don't trust it at distance if I blow it quietly. Oh and I have been working those square flanks too, not being quite as successful there.

    ReplyDelete