Thursday, April 4, 2013

It's All About Me.

I worked dogs with a couple of friends yesterday.....I've been breaking things down and applying the thesis to all the girls; each at their level of training. So when things go "not as planned"....I'm looking first to me.

1) Preparation: Have I put in the time training?  I'm not even thinking recent time....I'm thinking "time over the dogs life".  I still sit in amazement as Jack Knox came out of the hottest, driest drought Missouri has seen in a long time last summer; one that had temps in the 80's in the middle of the night and leaving him unable to "train" because the weather was stressing the stock.  He left that and went to win Soldier Hollow. 

2) Understanding:  Does my dog understand what I am asking? I also have to ask myself if I understand as well.  My look-back is one I am working on better understanding now that I see that it can also mean "let go of these, please".  I love the fact that some of the understanding is just "in the dog" and it comes out through experiences, both mistakes and successes.  On the other hand, I think when I started asking Dot to lie down on stock, I saw her response and realized that it might be good to put a nice, happy, quickly offered lie down on her off of stock first. 


3) Consistency:  Am I consistent with my criteria for what I am asking? This question always goes back to the many "stop" lessons I have paid for and taken.  I enjoy breaking down the definition of some of my words (and whistles) and then seeing if I use them like I mean them.   Half and full flanks come to mind as well as blather that slips out on occasion. I need to consistently nip that blather nonsense!

When things aren't going as planned....I will remember PUC.  Indeed......and "no more rhymes, I mean it!"

Off to band a few lamb tails......as they say, "no rest for the wicked and the righteous don't need any"

Seize the Day!!!!

2 comments: