Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I Never Meant to Fall in Love with Sheepdogs

"I never meant to fall in love with baseball, but I did. I learned to realize that it does what all good sports should do: it creates the possibility of joy." ~ Colum McCann

As I sat and read the article in the New York Times; the title "What Baseball Does to the Soul", I realized the author had exactly captured eloquently all that I feel about sheepdogs.   Don't get me wrong....I love baseball; well until it is sleeting and the game is only in the top of the third. My love is fickle as I dream of going home to the fire and reading about the game the next day in the local newspaper.  But sheepdoggin', now that is love. It can be sleeting and I'll walk to the post with anticipation....no thoughts of home until the next group of sheep are exhausted. 

As I pull, what new folks might feel is, a never ending supply of dogs from my truck, I remember the day when I thought I could only have one....maybe two trial dogs at the most.  People poke fun at me saying that I seem to lean to a certain look in a dog....INDEED!  That way my hubby can't tell when I get a new one......nor the neighbors!  My son's girlfriends might think I am a crazy dog lady and they are probably right. 

In an effort to continue to learn and provide challenging opportunity for my dogs....I work for sheep.  My sheep work is leaner this year with the shepherds young dogs coming on, so I press forward looking for those in need of a helping gather.  When my new tractorless neighbors came over to inquire what they might do about their 3 acre, tall grass filled field that continues to grow...it took me about .2 seconds to present the plan I had been thinking of for the last three weeks. Today or tomorrow, a new gate will go in between our property and I'll begin mowing for them!  The sheep can't wait. 

Faded are the memories of what life was like before I bought my little slice of Heaven.  As I try to imagine what I would do without all things sheepdogs...I can't.  Instead I scour the property listings, put the word out, ponder leaving notes in mailboxes....all in an effort to find a place to live and keep sheep.

And now I prepare for a journey.....three weeks on the road.  The longest I have ever been away from home since college.  I'm texting a friend trying to figure out all the travel details for crossing the Rockies safely.  Another friend is going with me...I'm leaving the weather to her.   I'm packing and trying to not take too much but how can one know what to wear when the Colorado trials might be in snow and the Kentucky trial might be hot and humid?  The new trailer is ready to go.... celebrating maiden voyage.  Beds are all lined with temperpedic mattresses and I'm packing food into coolers. 

Most important is the dogs and all they might need.  Anything else forgotten can either be done without or purchased on the way.  My crook is tucked safely away and the girls are getting their tick and flea dosing tomorrow.  The list of things to do does not seem to be getting smaller but I leave the ranch in the care of good friends who are honing their skill of observation.

Really, I never meant to fall in love with sheepdogs.  And here I am....smitten by the lot of them. Ever thankful for the adventures and friends brought into my life all because of these sheepdogs.  They have most certainly created  the possibility of joy!

Seize the Day!


7 comments:

  1. Enjoy the journey, as they say. And, I hope you find some time to blog along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful journey......mine started when I got a Border Collie for a pet, had a sports car and was a yuppie, wore fancy clothes and heels and now.....wow, what a great journey!

    We expect a lot of posts of the journey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very jealous of your 3 week journey! Mine will be there in about 17 years. hee hee the life of a mom (you know).
    You know whatever happens on the trial field, the dogs will love you unconditionally and that is what makes them so special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very jealous of your 3 week journey! Mine will be there in about 17 years. hee hee the life of a mom (you know).
    You know whatever happens on the trial field, the dogs will love you unconditionally and that is what makes them so special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun, trial well, may the roads be safe and easy to traverse....and we've got your back covered at the Ranch ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog!!! Enjoy reading about your journey. Good luck!!! Does anyone mean to fall in love with sheepdoggin'? And here we are building the Mecca....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post...and so appropriate. I was into horses, and got a border collie to replace my elderly aussie mix who had passed away,...supposedly to be my truck dog while I went to horse events. Ha! The border collie came, the horse went...and that is the story. I would not have wanted to miss the people and experiences that I have met and lived along the way, with sheep dogs.

    ReplyDelete