Monday, April 22, 2013
Snap Shots
Take a look at this picture and what do you actually see? Three ladies all done up.
Assumptions can be made.....it is either an old photo, or a photo taken at one of those old time photo shoot galleries from the fair. The ladies can be sisters, or friends, or maybe this is just an add for a clothing line from a Sear and Roebucks catalog.
The lady in the bottom of the picture is my great, great grandma. The lady in the middle of the picture is my great, great grandpa's sister...or my great great aunt. This picture was taken in the late 1800's in Medford, Oregon. Those are all facts that are not changed by looking at the picture. I can also tell you who each of their mother and fathers were, where they lived and went to school.
I can tell stories that are based on fact, my great great grandma never married my great great grandfather and ended up dying shortly after she had her son, who was then raised by her parents. Had she married, my last name would have been different. The rest of her story is all fiction in my mind....different versions, some of which might have slices of reality to them...as I imagine what it was like to be unwed and pregnant in that day. I've seen the records of her schooling, both her name and his name are listed with all their siblings in the registry; the only two families attending the small school house where the homesteads were. Did she move to California to raise her son out of shame or did she move to meet up with her lover in hopes of marrying and making a family? What was the household like that she grew up in? Did she sew and cook or did she prefer riding horses and helping with the chores outside? Did she run away from a heavy handed home life or was she loved beyond measure? Does the truth lie somewhere in between? Someday I might just write out my version of her life...I look into her eyes and see if I can find some truth to add to the fiction I create. The picture, however, shows three ladies all done up.
When I attend a clinic or a trial, as each dog heads out for the day, I feel much like I do when I look at this picture. I can actually see the dog and what makes up it's physical characteristics. There are facts: who the parents are, how old the dog is, who owns the dog. As the dog works, I can start to puzzle some of the story together...but at the end of the day, speculation, perspective, mixed with some personal bias have changed the reality of the real truthful snap shot of the dog. While some see style and finesse, others might say the come-forward has been taken out of the dog. There might be talk that a trainer is "too mechanical" while others esteem the same trainer for having what it takes to save a much needed point.
I'm working on seeing young dogs at clinics and trials as snap shots. Looking closely at what the dog exhibiting for the day and how is the clinician or handler working with the dog to help it become the best it can be. Knowing tomorrow's snap shot might look radically different, take the dog one snap shot at a time. Recently I attended a "starting a young dog" clinic and it was fun to use the muscles I have been working on strengthening. The clinician did not get over-excited nor concerned about anything that any of the young dogs did. He talked about putting a young dog away and letting them grow up if the dog did certain things. He also commented on traits he liked to see as a young dog started sorting things out on the sheep. He never made a proclamation that a dog was going to be a top open dog or a dud with this one go on sheep.
Looking at dogs, both others and mine, as snap shot pictures is helping me to keep focused on the day. I've been lifting weights with my observation muscles, trying to develop strong, healthy, and precise assessments. I'm finding that extrapolating, as with the pictures of my family, may or may not be accurate especially when others are inserting conjectures. I do see the value that comes from experience with a certain line of dog and enjoy discussions with those I respect while learning from them. I'm also trying to remember that the dog in the snap shot is an individual and I need to look to the day for training. I guess it is like "living in the moment"...dealing with "what is": the snap shot.
I'm getting ready to hit the road, attending three trials as I head to the Bluegrass and back. It's new territory to me and the run order is filled with handlers I don't know. I'm going to try and take advantage of being able to step back and look at the snap shots of each dog for the day. I'm hoping to take notes off the running orders so that when I get home, I can look back and remember. It will be fun to see how each dog of interest progresses as we head to the finals in October.
I'm not sure I have done a good job with this blog post. It has taken me a month to write! I feel like I have dummed down something that I am disciplining myself to achieve with my assessing eyes. When I bring my dog out, I feel like I am showing the world a photo album. All the snap shots, big events and daily slice of life's, coming together...and what people see is just the snap shot of the day. Snap shots......just that!
Seize the Day!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This blog post is great- don't doubt it at all!
ReplyDeleteI am very new to the world of Sheepdogs and such. But even so I get what you are saying as it applies to so much more than just Sheepdogs- but to all dogs. (And people!)
Amanda @ manymuddypaws.blogspot.com
Nice work
ReplyDelete