Friday, April 5, 2013

When the PUC Hits the Fan.....

A friend and I were chatting yesterday and he said the darnedest thing.....he always says the darnedest things but this one was even better.  I wish I would have thought of it.  I toyed with plagiarism......anyway he told me "when the PUC hits the fan, have the ability to insert the "F:........(my mind instantly went to rhyming and the bought of Tourette's I fall victim to on occasion) .....Flexibility.  Oh yes, flexibility......the ability to do backbends and splits whilst standing at the post all the while running that dog that won't take that FREAKING FLEXIBLE lie down!  Got It. 

I also believe the more PUC.....the less ass-kickings; mine and the dogs.  I still remember that one Sunday run; a young dog with a look back but not to the extent of the day's challenge.  The handler left the post after a few assisted attempts to get the dog back onto that second packet of sheep.....knowing there was more work to be done and not a lick of disappointment in the day and accomplishments of the week.  While other handlers might have stayed out there longer, I am always  filled with awe at those glimpses into relationship, understanding, egoless decisions not based on the competition at hand for the day.  Knowing just a little more PUC and the next time, the outcome will be different!!

Interesting today over at Huffington Post, Phyllis Sue talks about life at 90 (which is the new 20 btw!)  She writes, "I have realized, that anything is possible, if you like who you are and what you do. Yes, anything is possible and even probable."

"Life in itself is a challenge and you can either, accept it and take action, or you can sit and do nothing. My advice is there is only one winner: accept the challenge, take action and get on with your life no matter what age."

"One Winner"...now that is a whole life time of over-thinking and application.  I was just reminded of one of my favorite quotes..."just when you think you have this all figured out; go to another sheepdog trial".  Indeed the winning of the real winners is the journey of life. Sometimes leaving the post is not "losing" and other times, staying out there is!  Tattoo that somewhere where I will see it and sing to me The Gambler.

When you read the whole article it confirms what the Brain experts are saying.....Continual Learning and Action are the key to keeping the brain functioning at full capacity into the new 20's and beyond.  When it comes to working sheepdogs....one is always learning.  Just when I think I have it all figured out (which I never have btw), a new dog comes into my life........ or a new friend with a new set of eyes.......or some new sheep.......and I see in vivid Technicolor just how much I really don't know. 

"I admit, I'm driven but I'm driven by desire and that's the formula. Desire is so powerful, like you are propelled as if from a canon. Desire to me is the driving force, but action is the result."

Driven, Desire, Action, Continual Learning......sounds like there is life to be lived...all the while doing back bends and the splits!

Seize the Day!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment