I have a new journal. The outside is familiar; contrasts of black and white giving an idea on what might be found inside. The pages are blank for the most part, although the Master Creator inserted some basic foundational truths..."I do not bring back from a journey quite the same self that I took" ~ W. Somerset Maugham I feel such huge responsibility, though that might not be the correct word, as I put pen to paper and begin the first line of the first chapter of this new book. So many details to pay close attention to; as the story unfolds I do not know, in advance, which aspects will impact my adventure's map.
I am a perfectionist while loving routine. In the past, mistakes have been avoided. I've written in pencil to make for easy correction. Not this time, this time I write in pen. I'm doing my research, asking questions and evaluating what might work best for me as I begin to write my next novel. Mistakes will be embraced and learned from, while attempting to minimize them, I will fold the story around the ink's permanence. Opportunity to learn and make the most of all that unfolds on this magical journey of bringing forth what I've been working so long to attempt.
I dig deep looking for courage to face down that perfectionistic demon that whispers in my ear. If life is not to be outcome oriented, then the process must be embraced for what each sentence brings to life. I just got done listening to, what has now become, one of my favorite books. The book is Dr. Sleep, written by Stephen King. I'm not a real fan of scary so it has taken me months to get through the listening. I would have been better off actually reading it so I could skip ahead. The way Stephen King puts his words together, making me friends with the likable and dreaming about the whispering demons, made me sad to see the book come to an end. My favorite part though, was the insight Mr. King gave at the conclusion about how the book unfolded for him. He knew the story had to be told but I'm pretty sure he did not know how it would end until it came to him.
I have dreams and aspirations as I begin to write. The blank pages filling in as the story unfolds. I remind myself to not wish away any moment, embrace the process, be open to the magic of a wild, amazing, twisting, perfect journey....there is no skipping ahead to find out how it ends......
Seize the Day!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment