Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Cobwebs

I trialed a little over the winter, I told myself as I packed the truck to head off to Heppner.  My dog will be fine, she will remember.  I thought over the top hands I'd see at Heppner; the day-in day-out training up of their dogs to begin the trial season.  When the feelings of unpreparedness started creeping their way into my mind...I remember Jack's run at Soldier Hollow the year Missouri was hit with that nasty drought; high temps keeping his dogs from practice and certainly no working of the sheep to cause stress as they conserved what they could waiting for cooler days.  If my memory serves me, Jack won Soldier Hollow that year.  I headed to Heppner; 10 week old puppy as co-piot, working on the art of letting go and being in the moment.

The first run of the 2014 trial season was brake-less and all Bella.  I can't remember the last time we ran sheep on the fetch like we did...and I mean ran 'em.  Bella took that bit in between her teeth and reminded me of a few things about us.  What I love about her and what drives me nuts about her is that fine line: every now and then she gets away from me and we gallop off into the sunset, blazing saddles and all.  A top handler once told me, "if you run them on the fetch, you might get it back together for a decent run, but you will never have the run you could have had if you would not have run them on the fetch." Yep...running them on the fetch was not a good idea from any view, especially not Heppner sheep!  As I lay in bed that night, looking at all the little details of my Bella and me, I began sorting out my list of ideas as well as putting together a plan for the next go. Time to get the broom out and get rid of those cobwebs.

Bella and I were first dog to the post on Sunday.  First run on a glorious day in God's country.....couldn't ask for a better lighting to see any of those cobwebs I might have missed in the dark of the night before.  Bella ran, and it felt marvelous; a hit of the high that keeps me coming back for more.  Let the trial season begin.........

Seize the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment