Sunday, March 2, 2014

Life Changes

Guess who just slipped out the doggie door and into the freedom of the back yard with all those she looks up to and wants to be like.....yep, Sis!  I've never had a border collie puppy that I did not have the mom of.   In other words, I had Gyp as a pup but I had her mama Nell and Auntie Bella to keep her occupied.  Both Bella and Nell loved Gyp and would play with her hours on end.  That and I had two high school boys that I could sweet talk into a little Gyp play.

Flash forward four years and here I am with a little pup that none of the dogs will play with and my boys have grown up and flown the coup.  Sis snuggled with Jack Russell, Ruby last night and both Ruby and my other JRT Ticket walk in the back yard showing Sis life, but no playing. I'm Sis' only playmate at the time, well, me and hubby.  I remember asking a mentor friend, "How do you raise a puppy?" as I stumbled along with Gyp.  He told me to make sure I taught them to learn.  The doggie door is just one in the many learning experiences Miss Sis is going through.

I've had this pup over a week now and my life is starting to find a new rhythm.  I remind myself that Sis won't be a puppy for long and I don't get new puppies very often.  Sis is a good reminder to not wish away the day looking forward to what comes with age and maturity.  When I had babies, I would say, "Oh I can't wait for them to sit-up"...then it was crawl.  A very good friend, that was just a little further down the road of life, told me to not wish away the day.  Each stage of childrearing comes with its good and bad.  As we look forward, it is easy to only see the good and long for it.  Instead, enjoy the good of right now. And so life lessons seem to repeat, only this time in puppy form.

One of my goals for 2014 is to find better time management, focusing on the things in life that bring me joy and accomplishment while letting go of time wasters and time suckers.  I would have never thought a puppy would help me focus more on what's important to me, but that is exactly what she is doing.  And so, I write each page in this new journal of mine working on trust and relationship and understanding........

Seize the Day!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I highly recommend Bobbie Anderson's book for puppy raising: Building Blocks for Performance Dogs. That book promotes play as the ideal time to build a relationship between handler and dog. Her belief is that a pup should want to play with its handler more than another dog. I used her "program" with my current dog when he was a pup, and I do have a dog that would rather play with me than another dog. In fact, at one time I had two dogs. Both would bring their toys to me to play. They rarely played with each other. I think this also helped create bidability in my dog. Even though he's an independent thinker, he wants to please me. I am in the picture. She also talks about how to use play as a way to teach drive in young pups.

    Enjoy the baby months! Use them to build the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh thanks for this. Mosby seems to be growing up too fast! Ever so grateful the other boys will play with him and show him dog stuff. I get to sit back a bit and watch him and have a chance to see who he is. I always enjoy our one on one time, teaching him the balance disc game and going out to train on the sheep.
    Yes, I too have recently stepped back and am looking hard at what things are time wasters. I'm going forth with more determination and focus.
    Thanks, I seem to always find what I am looking for when I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Donna, I do have Bobbie's book. I need to go re-read it! I'm still Sis' only playmate....she tries to engage the big dogs but they are all still waiting for her mom to come and get her! LOL
    Erin....thanks for reading me. I love that you have a youngster a little further down the road.....its fun to learn from each other, share ideas, enjoy each other's rides. I think it makes live so much more rich....that sharing!

    ReplyDelete