My new place...which will now be know as RDR because it has become the new location for Rocking Dog Ranch.....has not been loved on for many years. The house and yard...yes....the bottom 40 yes, the top acres...no way. What I thought was green grass, might have been but for the cows who lived here until the very last day they could. They have grazed and trampled and left cow punching all over this place. Then there are the thistles and blackberry bushes and hemlock...yes, hemlock....not to mention a few ground hornet's nests.
I begin the work of putting love into the land....trying to sweeten it and seed it knowing next spring will show the fruits of my labor. While I work, I try to really see what needs attention...rocks that need moved, or places that needs sprayed out when the rain stops. Oh, and we live off a well traveled road.....
Yesterday, I had the spreader on the four wheeler and I began the task of spreading grass seed. My four wheeler is also now sporting a new to me sprayer on the back....one a friend gave me to save my shoulders and arms. I was tootling along minding my own business and studying the ground as I came up over an incline, not used to the new weight of the sprayer while not seeing the T post barely sticking out of the ground. I started pulling right and turned to go with the flow....my spreader was a little less agile and I got stuck around that darn T post. My first pickle at RDR.
There I was, right there, largely visible from all the traffic headed to Turner.....stuck. I tried to lift the darn spreader to move it but it had too much grass seed to even be budged. I tried to put the four wheeler in reverse and back it all up but the grade of the hill was too steep and the angle of the spreader too jackknifed. I had a little swearing session and remembered all the pickles I had been in at my other RDR. Oh those were the days.....and I might have taken for granted having really awesome pickle solving neighbors that would eventually come to the rescue and only laughed quietly.
What's a girl to do? What's a girl to do that is appropriate along side a busy road where pretty much every single passer by was having a little lookie lou at my situation?? I got my hand push spreader, moved the grass seed and spread that steep little incline by hand. Had to happen anyway.....got my fitbit steps in.....and it emptied the spreader allowing me to move it and get around that stupid tee post that is in the middle of the field for no reason I can see at this time.
I've decided to apply my efforts to fields off the busy beaten path to Turner. That way, I can wallow in my pickles without an audience. I'm looking forward to some good dog work in the coming days.....pickle free!
Seize the Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment