Sunday, February 21, 2010

Going On A Mole Hunt......

Apparently, spring is ,well...springing here in the Willamette valley and we are just wrapping up February! I know we need some "weather" if we are going to have water this summer! That said....I am loving this sunshine.....and this warm weather is bringing out other species that seem to love the warm temps and growing grass as well. These telltale mounds of dirt are made by one of my hole producing enemies! And now....the hunt is on!
I went to Coastal, a local farmy store....looking for the 100% guaranteed product to kill moles without using poison. None of the brands made that 100% success claim so I closed my eyes and picked.....I brought home two chemical-free traps.......this might be too graphic for some....but hey....welcome to ranch life! I dug a hole and put the trap in it.....just like the diagram......"here little moley"

A couple hours later, I could not resist...so I walked down into the bottom pasture...where my trap was set and ready.......to see what I could see.....and this was it:
That stinkin' mole actually had the gall to burrow under the trap and put a bunch of dirt on top of it....making it very dangerous to dig out for fear of my fingers! Mole 1....Me 0! The trap is set again......and I mean business......I will let you know how it goes! And my partner in crime, Miss Bella, is wondering why we are wasting this beautiful sunshine when there are sheep to work! I agree Bella....Seize the day!




1 comment:

  1. ROTFLMAO!!! Gotta luv the smartness!! ;) I still rem when a gopher/mole/whatever had the nerve to pop up in the green house RIGHT in front of me!!! I hear this noise, think one of the dogs i'm sittin for is gettin into mischief diggin, look over adn the dog is innocently lookin at me like what the?? then i see this earth mound move and a lil head pop out!!! the quickly goes back in! *shakes head*

    ReplyDelete