Wednesday, August 18, 2010

From Clarification to Questions

So I wanted to clarify something.....I posted last week that I let Nell decide which way she was going to outrun at a recent trial....and what I meant was, I don't always do this.....but in this given situation: Sending left was definitely the "more correct" way to send a dog because of the pressure at the top....however, left was also the more complicated way to send the dog because of the terrain and a fence corner. Sending right......the dog could see the sheep more on the outrun.....and the fence was no issue......but since the top was a little shallow, the lift could create havoc for even the best outrunning dogs because of the pressure at the top to the set-out pen on the left. When Nell assured me she wanted to go left...I let her because if she nailed it...she would be in a better spot. If she did not nail it...my correction would be better understood. And lastly, if she over-ran the top (which Nell can do on occasion) the sheep would show her the error of her ways....and might just lead to more trust between us on the next outrun. Too much information? That is me in a nut shell!!!


In other news: Gyp got a new collar......it seems to fit her a little better!
I love this collar! The brass plate has all my information on it so the dogs don't need to wear tags. It also has a middle brass ring for ease of snapping on a leash. I get my collars from Gun Dog Supply.


Lastly, here is my question......what makes somebody "deserve to be successful" when it comes to working dogs and stockdog trials?


Off to work some lambs...LaCamas starts tomorrow!


Seize the DAY!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Deserve to be successful? I wouldn't say there are any qualifications at all...no sense of entitlement comes along with success...if that makes any sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not say "deserves to be successful" but more along earn the right to be successful via hard work and patience.

    And you did great with Nell at Island Crossing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "what makes somebody "deserve to be successful" when it comes to working dogs and stockdog trials?"

    Hard work and perseverance - but I don't think there is a deserve, I think earn is more like it.

    ReplyDelete