The pro novice field was a short drive from the open field. I pulled Bella from the trial.....even before I saw the sheep I knew that we had some relationship strengthening to do. She is not the kind of dog to readily forgive me for putting her in over her head time and again. Nell ran Thursday and Friday......and now, this is our fourth trial in a row where I feel her working for me and with me...and I am so ready! I have spent so much time working on pace and feel with her......that I had to laugh when I asked her to pick it up she almost keeled over! Needless to say...these little lambs were not the sort to easily pick up the pace and still remain in control.....and Nell and I have some work ahead of us. I will say...she got a 48 her second go, timing out on the drive.....losing only two points on her outwork was absolutely thrilling.
Sally's open runs made my heart sing. Her first go I needed three blow outs to get her to the top but she took them all without a cross and her lift was spot on! A fast fetch came from letting her sort it out.....and that bit of chase was seen on a crazy fast drive! Our shed was clean and we got to the mouth of the pen. Her second go only needed one little supportive blow to keep her out on a path to the top. Again, her lift was great....and then those little lambie buggers started trouble! Both Sally and I were in over our heads.....probably more me than Sally.....she ended up making a quick decision to bring the three that wanted to come and left the nasty two behind for the coyotes! I left the post...stopped her....got a sweet little look back and away she went for the two. An RT but with so much more to it than that! Really, I felt this was some of the best team work we have ever done!
One of the best parts of LaCamas for me, was getting to watch some fabulous handling! Of course Patrick Shannahan and Riggs were spot on winning the first go. Both the MacRae's were handling two open dogs......and that was a learning lesson each time one of them walked to the post. I always admire Lavone Calzacorta and Rob Miller's runs....plus Geri Byrne and Candy Kennedy. I missed a bunch of friend's runs.....but caught Cheryl's go with Flint her second day...and Monique's go with Lucy that ended up with sheep at her feet!
It was fun talking to those I respect.......about my runs....and taking away ideas on what to work on next. Really the support of those who could see the beauty and improvement....and then give that gentle nudge in the direction of that "next" makes trailing so much more fun. It becomes more about the dog, reading sheep, and the relationship...and less about who is better. Sort of "same song, next verse"........a bad run does not make me have a bad day nor does it make me a bad person.
I took a bunch of pictures.....here Geri is running her dog Dan in his first ever Open trial.
Seize the DAY!!!!
Safe travels, and happy almost birthday!
ReplyDeleteLuv ya!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing you here! Drive safe.
ReplyDeleteYay Lora. Your run with Sal was great. It was fun rooting for ya!
ReplyDelete