Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Pushing

My Blogger site was having some "changing pains" and then my cable got fussy.  Now all seems good with my world of blogging so I am going back to post some of the happenings from my birthday week. 

It all started last Monday when Sally had an ulcer between her toes and, though not getting worse, it certainly was not getting better.  My vet did an exploratory surgery and said....he was not sure she would be good to run by Thursday.  Then I noticed she was coming into heat.....and Bella is on a trial break.....so as much as I hate missing a fantastic party....I pulled from my South Dakota trip.  Then I crawled back into bed and pulled the covers over my head for a real good pity party!  The kind of party I hate attending! This was short-lived as my good friend from the Border Collie Training Center called and said...."GET DOWN HERE!"  So I did........

The first evening of working dogs was all about assessing what I saw in my girls at LaCamas.  I have worked real hard on pace and feel with Nell.  That is good...if not great.  But now...I think I need to give her some push back...and eventually push on lambs that are so very different from ewes and lambs.  Geri showed me some things she has been doing with her seasoned open dog Jim
and her younger dog Dan.
We talked through some of the nuances of "pushing" and how my Nell like to push and control at the same time.  So she will push and then slide off to catch the sheep's eyes to keep them together and not running.  Part of my task was to show her to push from behind and that sometimes that quick pace is what we want.  Which is a topic for a blog on another day...because I am like Nell....I LOVE CONTROL!

So Nell and I had a go....
and with a bit of practice.....
she started loving to push!
And then Geri handed me a bill for my aerobic workout!

Needless to say.....we used sheep that would allow a push with much success and both Sally and Nell got a good push going.  The first step into learning how to work together as a team with the pedal to the metal.......

Seize the Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment