Monday, May 9, 2011

Funny How Different They Are

The task of trailing the sheep to the neighbors and back has not become a chore yet.  I really love the trip and it is making me get out and walk.  Each time I move the sheep, I have used a different dog.  I find it fascinating to see how each dog works different and bring subtle nuances to the task.  Bella has to be twice as far off as Nell. Sally has the calmest group of sheep while Bella creates a bit of tension in the lambs.  And both Bella and Nell could do it in record time without me.

It is also very interesting to see the differences in approach from last year.  Nell used to want to be off to the side of the group of sheep.  This year, she can keep the sheep on the road and remain on the road herself!  Last year, Sally had one speed...this year, she can pace down but the pick it up for the push past the Rhodie bushes and into the field.  And for Bella...I'm not sure I would have ever used her on ewes with very young lambs. This year, the improvement in our relationship and communication is so freaking cool!

The little lambs are very reactionary right now.....little jumping beans of uncertainty.  I will continue to sort them with the dogs...and then look forward to the day Miss Gyp gets a go.  It might be sooner than later....

Seize the Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment