This past weekend, I was a participant in a KK clinic. After the last clinic I attended.....the Knox method most certainly is the other side of the blade of the knife. The side I am most familiar with....and have embraced and have tried to fully understand as I trained up Nell and Bella and sorted the beginning of my Gyp.
| Bella showing some newly found eye |
Right, wrong or indifferent; clinics are becoming a time to sort and evaluate my dogs and myself. Where I used to be nervous and strive to be perfect or have my dogs "look good" and get that "what ever" seal of approval......now I am hoping that things go wrong so I can get help sorting out what the next step in training is. (though I am still a little nervous) I also find myself pushing to understand the input given back and why. That is the beauty of having folks that are waaaay further down the path providing some guidance to be able to learn some of what they have experienced without having to actually go through it. I also really appreciate clinicians that will push into the nugget and not just say "because I said so."
| Tweed says he LOVES clinics! |
After I got home, I talked to a friend that knows what my life has experienced for the past month and she asked, "are you really confused now?" I'm not sure it is confusion as much as it is a mode of sorting. One of my goals at the end of the day would be to find my own "method" and be able to have flexibility to meet my dog's needs. Looking at the dogs from different angles and taking those ideas home to sort out for clarity.....I can't wait to see what works, what needs tweaked, and hopefully add the next layer to understanding and relationship with my girls. I also think I am beginning to understand myself better.....and am open to trying some different ideas to see how my dogs respond. Hopefully, I can sort out quick enough it the results are where I want to go and massage them for the good of the dog. I'm wondering if that is the secret to the top trainers and handlers...knowing when to apply what and then when to do it different.
I now continue on my journey of finding that special bond with each of my dogs. And while on that journey, I am so very thankful for the laughs, knowledge shared, and understanding of my over-thinking disease! I continue to die to "ego", ANTs, and the voices of "critical comparison". My journey is about my dogs and the enlightenment of become all we can be together. And if along the way, I can share that richness with good friends.....I'm blessed. That, in itself, is the best place in the world to be.
Seize the Day!
Loved this post, I could have written that last paragraph - I too, as you know, have been afflicted by the "over thinking" disease. Since you told me about ANTS the other day on my blog I have been working on identifying them in my every day life. This really is a long journey...and I am loving every moment of it!
ReplyDelete