Saturday, May 7, 2011

Trailing of My Sheep

Every year about this time, I trail my sheep down to the neighbor's field to graze.  The whole trip is about 1/3 mile one way. Generally, I take down mature sheep. This year, I decided to do things a little different due to the fact I lambed out more ewes and my grass is dwindling.  The hair sheep flock were picked for the job, so yesterday I spent time dividing the hair sheep from the wool sheep.  Today, I decided to give it a go and see how it all went.



Ten ewes, twenty lambs and three yearlings were to be squeezed through the tiny gate, taking a hard left to follow the winding driveway down to the waiting pasture.  Bella was the dog of choice for today's drive.  It only took three attempts to get all the sheep headed in the right direction.  The ewes knew the drill from years gone by...however, a few silly lambs freaked out seeing their moms leaving them and out of complete silly lack of thought, tried to head back to where they knew instead of heading into the unknown.  Bella kept her head and was very patient.  Once the sheep were out the gate, the neighbor's helped....



they put up little directional signs translated into sheep talk.  By the time this jaunt is over, my TAG lambs will know how to read in addition to being able to follow signs.

I think Bella might have done this a time or two last year as well.  She had her groove on but I made her pace herself  to walk the sheep at a speed I could attempt to keep up with.




At the end of the drive, the sheep take a hard right and go by the neighbor's house and out into their pasture.  It was fun to see Bella full of confidence, totally trustworthy, and finishing the job without much help needed from me.




By the time I got down the driveway, and around the bend, Bella had the sheep all tucked into their new pasture and grazing.  Too bad I can't teach the dogs how to open and close the gate.....but then again, I need the exercise.




Just look at that grass!  My sheep were so very happy.  For the next month or so, I will be taking this flock down the road to graze for the day....and then bringing them home at night.  It is good work for the dogs and saves the sheep from the night visits of coyotes that live in the glen of trees that borders the creek that runs at the edge of the property. 

In the coming days, I will give Miss Gyp a go at the trailing of my sheep.  Nothing like a job to help bring meaning to the training of a young dog! Can't wait to see how she handles it....

Seize the Day!

1 comment:

  1. I love the signs the neighbors made - very funny ;) Good job Bella!

    ReplyDelete