Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It's Only Bad When

I do not believe Over-thinking is a disease.  I do not believe it is something to be cured of.  Many of the most successful people in the world are "over-thinkers"!  Including top hands in the sheepdog world. 




Over-thinking is a serious problem when it heads in the direction of negativity. Whether it be negative self thoughts, negative other thoughts, thoughts of comparisons, or worry of all the negative that could happen.  On the other hand......over-thinking can be fun when the brain is turned loose into dreams for the future; oh the possibilities. It can also be terribly productive when turned loose into the realm of problem solving and potential answer finding.   I also happen to believe, because I do use my brain so very much, that I won't end up with dementia! 




I love the whole process of looking for potential answers.....sorting, sifting, watching, observing...and then out of the blue...it hits me!  Oh, there it is.....a new set of glasses!  That is an exciting aspect of training dogs.....no dog is exactly the same as any other so there will never be a definitive black and white solution for training. Nor is any one "method" the end all to be all.  Personally, I believe that most top trainers have proven "methods", and my goal is to sort through what "method" will help me achieve MY goals...which are different from other people's goals....and that is a good thing. Yet just because I chose to employ a specific "method" into the training up of my dog does not mean that another "method" might not have been effective.  In fact another method might have been more effective in another person's hands....but what matters is my path and use of tools...not the argument of whose method is better.



A GOOD THING. One thought I have been ruminating on for the past....oh, year.....is how many folks I have been blessed to work with and keep as mine some of their approach to working sheep dogs.  Many of them have different methods in training, different styles of handling...and yet they consistently are successful on the trial field. For each of them, at the end of the day.......it is about the dog.  The training and trialing is about bringing out the best in the DOG without allowing anything else to muddy the water.  They have become ducks to the negative comments that float around and instead know in their hearts....it IS about the dog. 




Can you tell my son just had his tonsils out and I have had plenty of time for over-thinking!  Today I am hoping to get the girls out for some training to sort through some of what I saw at the clinic this past weekend.  Plus the sheep need wormed...and the thistles needs sprayed.....it is so good to get into the rhythm of life and not be consumed by what is happening in the world. 

Seize the Day!!!

2 comments:

  1. Ssssshhhhhh. (its about the sheep.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes Susan....it is about the sheep! Then it is about the dog. NEVER about how awesomely cool I am. NEVER EVER! :)

    ReplyDelete