Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Big Event

Lexington, Kentucky....very close to Heaven on earth!  The green rolling meadows, white fences dividing horse pastures, rock walls and mansions that brought to mind plantations from the deep south yet not quite. One could feel the pulse of horse country with all the training facilities dotting the way to state park where the Bluegrass Sheepdog trial was held.



I pulled in late Monday evening to a breathtaking view.  Campers and trailers and tents lined up neatly everywhere.  Handlers greeting handlers with such familiarity, I felt a little out of place being this was my first dance.  Tagging a tiny little trailer that was just a bed and a light, I decided to make the near-by RV park home so I could shower and have a bit of wifi and respite from the rising temps and humidity. 

As I mentioned before, Nell ran 16th following Scott Glen and June.  I was glad to have a familiar face spotting sheep and heading onto the course before me.  It was also nice to see June put down a beautiful run, and Scott makes shedding look so...effortless!  Nell and I walked to the post, me breathing and telling myself this was just like practicing with a friend....with a horse and dog holding sheep at the top.....and a billion top hands watching!  I have to be honest, I got lost in Nell's run....she was such a good girl, listening and working hard with me.  I got to the shed ring, and Nell missed coming through what I felt was a nice opportunity.  I looked at my watch and with 10 seconds left, I hail-married and called her in on a shed that ended in...yes...disaster!  GRIP-olla!  I mean really, what was I thinking...a single on the head of the last of three lambs!  In my head, I could hear my husband asking me what the heck!?  I am generally so conservative......but the moment caught me, and Nell and I have some work to do.  Still, all in all, it was a nice run....besides that one part! As the trial wore on I realized, it was a very difficult shed...and I joined the ranks of about 1/3rd of the handlers that gripped in the shed ring.  

Bella, well lets say her outrun was killer.....but then she lost her head and I had to run up the field at the Bluegrass...muttering to myself "DEATH to EGO!" and a few assorted other mutterable words, none worthy of print.   One person told me, "with a stop like that, it's a good thing she is pretty!".  I kindly replied, "yes, it would be a bitch to not be able to stop an ugly dog!"  And so Bella and I had some mind melding to do, truth be told, I actually thought about pulling her for her next run!  Instead, I sent her...4:00,85 degrees and what felt like 100% humidity....I sent her and when she blew through my lie down whistle, I stunned and amazed the crowd with my lung capacity and resonating LIE DOWN!  Which worked wonders, as the crowd gasped, and my Bella and I got around and to the shed ring. There I found a very toasted Bella, not able to do much of anything but try...so we timed out and I was tickled with her.  It did help that one of the judges offered to take her off my hands...one of the highest compliments I like to receive!

Nell ran second the last day of open.  It dawned clear and a little cool.  I thanked the man who ran before me for showing up....and he went out and put up a spectacular run.  No shed but what he did do in the shed ring was pure magic and something I long for with my dog.  I am not sure what to say about Miss Nell's run.....we hit all our panels and she had such a nice way with the sheep.  I got to the shed ring and felt tension in myself....so as the shed manifested, I hesitated calling Nell through and we timed out...keeping our points for the run.  She gave me all she had and I just want to hug her.  We've come a long way baby.  But all that to be said, I was a little disappointed in me.  I put Nell in a situation by my handling that, well, it is hard to express all the feelings I have had over the past week about how hard Nell has worked in our partnership and how, I might need to pony up a little on my end.

It was funny, as I was sorting my run, out of the blue a friend and mentor called and we talked for an hour about my feelings....that run and the whole amazing huge trial.  That chat put me back together, maybe not with kindness, or soothing words, but with the remembrance of what this is all about.  Relationship. 

I am so glad I went to the Bluegrass.  The way the trial played out was good to see from a bit of an outsiders perspective.  Would I go again?  In a heart beat!  Would I do things different...yes and no.  Yes on better preparation now that I know....and no, I would not change those who helped me along the way....I really do have a great group of friends and mentors! And as they introduced me around...I found, they attract some pretty neat people!


Here is what I got to take home from the Bluegrass:

I need another shedding clinic!

Seize the Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment