Okay, okay, truth be told, this rest stop was the home of the Knox family. I had the opportunity to stop and rest a night on the way to Kentucky and also a night on the long trek home. True confession: it was so fun to sneak a peek into the world of their home life. Kathy grabbed Sal and together they caught up a laboring ewe to pull a big single lamb. The team work required to snag that half crazed cheviot and then get her back to her lamb once the task was completed was a little mini clinic in itself. Then in the other field, Jack was gathering the flock of ewes and lambs to put in the over-night field for predator protection. I do believe he used three (yes three) of his young dogs to accomplish this task and both the dogs and this voyeur learned so much about how dogs learn through real work and correction.
Be to the fact that this used to be Grace's home...she played tour guide.
"This here field is where they keep the sheep that need to see me up close..k?"
"That's where my old bed used to be...we can't go in there cause my new bed is in the big red truck and that is where I plan to stay and leave...k?"
"Um, that there is Jack.....
The girls loved the long miles of walking and all the exploring offered up to them. It was so good to stretch out all of our legs after being truck bound for a few days of hard driving.
On my way home, it was so fun sitting with Jack and watching my Nell run from the Bluegrass. My crazy friend from Honest Dog graciously got up too insanely early to tape my run and I am so glad he did. It really was one of my most favorite moments of the trip: talking through my run with Jack. He knows my Nell and Bella ever so well and has helped me understand them. His words, advice and the next day's lesson are still playing in my head.
I dipped my toe into the temperatures that I would meet later on the trip, plus the humidity, but just a dabble. I got lucky on my visit days, early evening arrival and mid morning depature, that I did not really feel summer Missouri. I've never been that far east by auto.....the scenery was beautiful. I was amazed at seeing the beginning of the journey that Lewis and Clark started: the journey that ended right where I live now. What I drove in three days, they walked and explored and survived in what took nearly two years. That puts a road trip in perspective!
I'm also amazed at the relationships that are developed and nurtured through the dogs. Folks who graciously open their doors to a wandering traveler, allowing for a safe respite.....now that is what I call PRICELESS!
Seize the Day!
Thanks for sharing the pictures of Jack and Kathy's, good to know Jack is doing well. Attended many of his clinics at Dan and Susan Hoag's years ago.
ReplyDelete