I just got home from the Island Crossing Sheepdog Trial that was held up in Arlington, Washington. This is the same field that the girls and I ran on in August...so I was looking forward to seeing if we had made improvements.
Nell ran first for me....and thanks to all the help and support of my good friends...I did indeed take the correct dog to the post! She really wanted to go right....but the course was definitely a left send with tons of pressure at the top. As Nell left my feet...she started coming in...I blew her out on the fly...she took it. I gave one more little blow out as she entered the big ravine that runs through the field....and she came up out of that ravine bending left. Atta girl Nell! The rest of the run was pretty rattled but I loved her blow outs.
Sally crossed both time in August....so this time, I blew her out as she entered the ravine with the same result....she came out bending left! Her run was real nice and we will continue our shed work. I liked how she ran for me!
My friend Geri has been talking to me at trials....as I have a tendency to not support the dogs on the outrun if it starts coming in.....and then end up with a cross as I frantically try to get the bend out once the dog is committed to cross. She says "spend a point, save a run".......this mantra is now stuck in my head and I am watching the outruns to support my dogs littlest intention of starting to come in. At the end of the day....I think this will add to the relationship I am developing. When in doubt...blow them out.
I also got the chance to talk to a "finger whistler" to help me sort out what I might be doing wrong with my whistles. Mine often sound airy....like blowing a wood flute....and I want crisp like a brass whistle. She really took some time to help me sort it.....so now I have home work. Thanks Vicki Close!
As I left the trial...her parting words to me were "some people like to learn, but not all like to be taught." That is a good thought to ruminate on.....I think I am a little of both. I like to work through things on my own...and get some instruction when I find myself not sorting it. I'm also learning to value consistency.....
Seize the Day!
It was so good to see you and the girls! Love that Nellie:)
ReplyDeleteKeep your goals in mind, stay focused and eyes on the long term prize. I love the advice Geri gave you, spend the point to save the run. I think that applies to more than the out run especially if it strengthens the dog handler relationship. Scott has said something very similar to me as well, spend it if it is going to save you in the long term, but don't just give it away either. That's the paraphrased version ;)
You have inspired me to work on my finger whistling, again.
Still jealous on the finger whistles... :)
ReplyDeleteGreat advice and I will be keeping that in the back of my mind!