My first ewes were bred September 21......that means I am due to start lambing February 15th. In order to get ready, my wool girls needed tagged or crutched. That is the process where the wool is removed from their bellies, from around their bags, and off their backends. It helps with tidy lambing and then makes it easier for the newborns to find the milk bar.
I have 12 wool ewes to lamb out this year...plus my 12 hair ewes, but they will lamb a little latter. Everyone is looking fabulous and it was fun guessing how many babies each ewe had inside. Lambing is a little like Christmas....filled with both work and the wonder of the surprise of the gifts! I used Sam the black ram on the four Shetland girls and I can't wait to see how those babies turn out! Plus the katahdin ram's babies are fun as he throws a lot of color and markings onto his lambs.
A few weeks ago, one of my pregnant Coop ewes started to go down hill. She went off food and was just hanging out around the protein block. She looked like she was getting bottle jaw, but it was a little different, I wormed her. And yet, she still was not doing well. When I got back from my mini-vacation she really required some intervention or I knew I would lose her. I've been pulling her in trying to get her to eat a variety of high protein foods. When the shearer came out, she helped me sort the ewe and it was determined she broke her jaw! That certainly would explain the swelling under her jaw that looked a little like bottle jaw. And also why she went off solid food and hung out at the protein block. It was also concluded that she was healing up nicely. I have continued to pull her in daily with one of her friends and am feeding alfalfa, wet cob mixed with some soy meal, a protein block, and a bunch of rumen support. Today, she was feisty to come in, ate well, and looks so much better. Here's to healthy lambs!
Next, I need to set up my jugs all the while hoping and a praying that the girls hold true to their due date. I have one more clinic to attend.....and I might be pressing my luck!
Seize the Day!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment