Sunday, January 9, 2011

What I Love About Winter

I'll be working on my Attitude of Gratitude this year!  Manifesting all that I am thankful for.  Winter, hmmm...what do I love about winter.  Digging deep here.....

"Me" training time...I do get more time to train me and my own dogs during the winter.  My place gets awful wet and then I head into lambing.  So during the winter, lessons are sporadic and only for the most forgiving and flexible of friends. Inconsistencies in teaching lessons gives me time to travel to less-wet fields!

I went to Fido's Farm and worked dogs with my friend from Whistle Pig Place.  This might look like my Bella...however, it is Z....a kissing cousin of Bella.  When Erin and Z were holding my set, and Bella was lifting.....I had to pay close attention to which dog was mine!


Clinics....winter seems to be the time for many great clinics and private lessons.  I am so very excited to be headed down to a Jack Kn*x clinic!  For this particular clinic, I am contemplating just handing him my "list of questions" that have been compiled since I saw him last June, the night before the clinic...okay, maybe not!

Lambing....I start lambing February 15...which is still winter but getting closer to my FAVORITE season...spring.  I am looking forward to lambing this year for a couple of reasons. I bred 25 ewes.....4 Shetlands to a Blue faced Leicester ram....hoping and a wishing that was a nice cross for size, ease of birthing, nice temperament and lovely fleeces!  I also induced breeding with CIDR inserts.....I can not wait to see how this will impact my lambing.  Most anything would be better than my never-ending lambing season of last year!

Of course, winter provides plenty of time for over-thinking!  I am taking a few on-line courses that I am hoping to learn from.  I am looking closely at "what is my part in this".  I think it is key in all of my relationships....including with my dogs.  What is my part of the shed, the tension, the flow...and how can I step up to be more responsible for how much I am helping or letting my dogs down. How can I be a more effective communicator?  How can I set healthy boundaries and be consistent with criteria and outcome?  When do I let go of forcing an issue to embrace what is being presented? I think that is a great way to look at all relationships....raise the bar in taking responsibility for myself and my journey!

Ah Winter......may I learn to love you!

Seize the Day!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading you today ....
    Not that you asked my opinion ... but it looks to me you are asking the right questions and that can only give you the right "WAY" ... the answers ... well those are there along the way!
    YOU GO GIRL!
    Blanca Estela ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I too am asking many of the same questions. I think it is time for me to step up and be a stronger team mate with my dog and step back a little from the teacher/trainer stuff. Now I have to sort out what is my part. I was reminded this in an email from our common guru PS just yesterday.
    Always fun to work with you.

    ReplyDelete