Monday, January 24, 2011

Let's Get Real!

A good friend commented last week that many blogs seem superficially wonderful: Pollyanna-ish!  Well, that is what I heard...and then a blog I read all the time posted about not seeing faults in our dogs...and it started my mind thinking.  Yet again!  I don't generally go into details about my faults and my dog's faults on this blog.  Not because I don't see them....I think I see each of my dogs pretty darn realistic....although some have the opinion that I think too fondly of my Nellie!  I also know my faults inside and out....and they are reminded to me regularly, especially at clinics. As my Gramps would say...."that's alright"....I am embracing my imperfection so here is part one of my clinic story.

THE clinic was held at the Hopland sheep research center. What an amazing place!  The field we were allowed to work on was big...accommodating nice 450 yard outruns that could be made longer but very complicated with trees and terrain.  The field was rolling, the handlers post mid-hill, the dogs outrunning down the hill, across a flat, and then up a hill with bumps, bobbles and a stream running through. I last saw THE clinician in June.....at which time we sorted Nell and I began getting a handle my little rocket.  Since then, I have moved Nell to open....where the outruns are bigger, the fetches and drives longer, we now are asked to shed, and each and every trial brings new to me and my girl!  Consistently, I have been sorting out the longer fetches with Nell.  Her short fetches have been true....it is when length is added that I have seen some "issues" arise.  As I watch, video tape, and sort, I've come to the conclusion that some of the "issues" have come from doing dog-legged fetches through open gates to get bigger outruns at home.  Repetitiously doing these dog-legs was not the thing to do with my young, new to open dog...and that is for sure!  I've been traveling a bit to get big fields to work on this "fetching issue" and had made some good progress but I was missing something.

I had the opportunity to work Nell with Jack.....and though he did not understand why I wanted to work on my (long) fetches when we had such a beautiful field to work on outruns....he conceded.  In one fetch, I was sorted!  Here is the scoop....I was letting Nell come in on the end of her flank.  Same song next verse, I needed to handle her with a firm stop.  I went to the car, got my big blaster whistle.....and when I had another go.....I watched and handled Nell with the new vision, insight, clarity...the input of the stop and my handling of it....and the fetch was spot on. 

I am challenging myself to really see my dogs: their good, their bad, their character.  Then, it is my job to train them up and handle them....running them to their strengths and handling around their weaknesses.  I also appreciate beyond words the input from those I respect.  Sometimes I have a hard time seeing if it is the dog that is at fault, or if it is my handling at fault, or if I need to go back to the drawing board and put better training and understanding into the dog. And that is one very personal journey.....it changes regularly and definitely reads different with each of my dogs!

More on the clinic is coming....really it is. 

Seize the Day!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a small lesson I had with KK last week! LMAO! :) Damn "ah-ha" moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over thinkers unite! What I find interesting.......is how my Nell stops different on the fetch..... at the top of a long one vs the middle/bottom....and way different from how she stops on the drive. I guess instead of saying "work on stop" and having it be a make....sorting that out gave me a different view. Nell knows how to stop....and she certainly understands the "you had better stop NOW whistle".....it was just interesting seeing how her 'come forward' was being missed by me at the beginning of a long fetch. She WAS stopping....just leaning on the end of the flank before stopping. How I saw this whole experience was...it was more about me and handling than it was about Nell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am constantly working on SLOWING down all my commands...giving the sheep time to think and then moving forward...that is MY weakness :) BIG TIME...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya Loretta...especially since I believe you have "come forward" types of dogs as well! Well that is what I have gotten from reading you. So not only do we have to manage our desire to keep moving forward....we have to manage our dogs who want to do that and will take leadership in that direction! LOL Oh the journey of a dog with push!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pollyanna, where???
    A teaspoon of discretion here and there, but not Pollyanna. Not in this crowd! ;-)
    Glad you had a good clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeppers...I like apparently going forward as well :) PUSH PUSH PUSH...livin' on the edge :) My mantra needs to be STEADY...sigh....so boring...yet so needed.

    Patience is NOT a virtue I have great amounts of...tick tock :)

    ReplyDelete