Saturday, January 29, 2011

The best laid schemes of mice and men.....Go oft awry

After one beautiful fabulous day of working dogs at Knee Deep Ranch, I pulled into the ranch to do my chores and was greeted by this:


Yes indeed...that would be a lamb!  A beautiful 3/4 Blue faced Leicester 1/4 Coopworth ram lamb weighing in at 12 pounds!  Somehow he does not appear to be a preemie!!!



I think I might have mentioned that my lambs were not due until February 15th...and that I had been meticulous in my breeding plan this year....documenting and inducing.  As pointed out by my oh-so-supportive-and-sympathetic friends....17 days early....as in one complete heat cycle!  So it looks like this poor boy's mom is a cougar....taking advantage of my ram, Sam.....young and inexperienced as he was...he certainly must have been tall enough and developed enough to get the job done!

And so I will stick with my story.....the rest of the wool ewes are due to start lambing February 15th! Such a  lovely sample of what is yet to come!!!!

Seize the Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment