This year I bred 24 ewes. I did indeed use CIDR inserts to induce heat. My vet and a couple of knowledgeable friends have all assured me that CIDRs do NOT....NOT....NOT cause multiple births. That was all luck in the form of one set of quads, five sets of triplets, three singles and all the rest as twins. I have 38 lambs at the ranch.....5 others went on to be bummers with friends....and I lost 3 lambs that I know of not included in the ewe with listeria. It most certainly was a year of "learning". I had my first "mummy lamb" and the above mentioned listeria. I also learned that breeding my blue face leiscter ram to all my shetland ewes, though fabulous in fiber, was not in my best interest!
I really did not pull many lambs by neccesity this year. Of course Coyote girl got a free-pull pass. One coop/blue face girl was a hard pull. The quad mom was totally pooped out when she surprisingly passed the fourth lamb breach. Shear exhaustion left her laying down when she might have gotten up, so I gave a helping hand to get the head out and into air. A few other lambs were pulled as the moms were going and I had places to be. I learned from the best that it is better to pull and have live lambs then to get busy, forget, and not. It was those darn Shetlands and my plan for improvement in fiber and dog workability that used the glove box. With some success and some utter fail, I pulled every lamb out of those Shetlands. Today, I saw the end of lambing 2011....with the birth of these two beautiful lambs.
| the boy |
| the girl |
Another life lesson learned is that, though I really do love lambing, this is the beginning of a lambing break at Rocking Dog Ranch. Not living where the sheep live make it really time consuming and hard. Next year, I won't have the home help, with both boys being off to college...it is time. Bitter sweet for sure but I have had so much fun with the making of lambing memories. I promise myself to enjoy every lamb race this year.....I certainly have enough to make betting interesting.
Maybe next year some of my sheep friends will let me come and help lamb.....
Seize the Day!
WHEW!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Adele. Good for you!
ReplyDelete