Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Triple Wide and Litter of Lambs

Yesterday was quite the day!  It started at 4:30 with the big huge katahdin ewe having a small lamb so I knew there were more in her.  The huge woolly girl was telling me she was having her babies too but I told her "show me the money".  I went home to kick off the day for the family, grabbed the dogs and headed back to the ranch at 7.  Thank God I jugged the katahdin as she had produced 3 flashy ram lambs while the wool ewe had a small ewe and another katahdin decided to join the fun and had a small ewe herself.  For the next two hours it was very chaotic in the birth barn....lambs showing up everywhere...to the end tune of two sets of triplets and a set of quads.


These quads weighed in at 7-8 pounds a piece...30 pounds of lamb in that poor ewe. I sent one of the strapping boys home with my friend, Denise.  I also nabbed the small ewe lamb from the katahdin triplets and she went with Denise as well...the mom was being a little ornery to her.  If I can get one of the boys from the first set of triplets on a bottle, I will probably pull him too. Three lambs seem to create a lot of stress for first time moms.

The big woolly girl really was a triple wide!  She had three beautiful ewe lambs.  I went and bought a bottle and some milk replacer today.  I'll supplement feed them and see if I can keep the ewe raising the lambs.  They are very cute...and their tiny nappy curls look amazing!

One more katahdin and four Shetlands left to go.  I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel.......really, I do.

Seize the day!

1 comment: