Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Balance

Now there is a word that has so much depth of meaning.  In working sheepdogs...it is paramount that a dog can find balance.  It is the key to everything......a good fetch, a good drive, a good pen & shed.  Some days it feels so much easier to help a dog find balance than for me to find personal life balance.  I really enjoy reading Pioneer Woman and today's post of "how to draw a balance" was tucked away under her topic of Homeschooling.  I almost did not read the article...for one, why would anyone want to "draw" a balance....me thinking precise weighing with a scale sort of balance.  I don't draw much of anything besides shapes that form letters on a legal pad.  Yet, I did indeed read..and left the blog with a newly stoked fire to find a bit of balance in my new life. 

It is funny, with the boys gone off to college, I envisioned all this "free time".  Lazing around watching afternoon TV...who knew soap operas were off the air replaced by reality TV?  That's okay by me, nothing like a good dose of Celebrity Rehab or on the worst of lazy days maybe even some Jersey Shore Basketball Wives.  And yet that is not at all what my life has turned into....no instead I have an endless list of things to do and can't seem to find its finish line.  Balance.....how does one find balance? Why does the fact that I can do whatever I want leave me thinking I can do it all? BTW I want to stick in here...I am very thankful for my life.  I am blessed beyond measure and am filled with appreciation for all I have. 

I will let you know when I find my balance.  Certainly a quest of major importance. In the Pioneer Woman post OMSH says " And so, each week feels like it is chasing after the next, until September is over, then October, then November, and I wonder…is this how we want to live? Is this how we lose days, weeks, months, and years?" I don't want my life to flow away, lost without seizing some moments, if not days. Balance.  The key to a lot of life!

Now back to that list of things to do cause I absolutely must have hay! 

Seize the Day!

1 comment:

  1. This is something I really struggle with. I have no kids, no empty nest, no TV but still no TIME. I would not have read the home-schooling article had you not pointed it out, so thank you very much for that! I have no idea what the answer is, for me though. But thanks for the thought- provoking post...

    ReplyDelete