Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Carnage at RDR

Why did the chickens cross the road? I am not sure, but somehow they did!  It was a very busy road, as in North Jefferson Highway!  One hen and four baby chicks;  frustrating beyond measure, as they tormented their mama by slipping through the 2x4 no-climb five foot fence to hang out by the same busy road they crossed. The owner of said family did not really want to bother with them.  The chicken family appeared delighted by that news and went about moving in, unpacking their bags and pooping everywhere.  A few weeks ago, one baby went missing so I was down to 3 chicks and the hen.  But still a lot of poop.....the kind that Miss Gyp thought needed to be taken home on her neck as a perfume.

In the past month, I've sort of grown fond of them, although they are slated for a trip up north to grace my friend's paddocks.  Yesterday, as I tractor cleaned the sheep sleeping quarters in preparation for winter, the family of four helped loosen two years worth of bedding, feasting on the uncovered treasures.  The young chicks napped in the sun while their mom kept at the work with me. 

Today it happened!  As I drove into the ranch...there lay the remnants of something all covered in yellow jackets (my all time favorite...NOT). As I wondered what the heck it could be, I caught my breath when I saw the gray and orange feathers and tiny body of one of my chicks!  I parked and quickly picked up the leftovers, lest they be ingested by a sneaky border collie, then ran to the barn to find one hen and one hen chick.  Gone....gone, gone are two pesky baby chicks.  I need CSI!  Carnage at Rocking Dog Ranch!  Maybe that stinking neighbor cat, maybe a skunk or quite possibly a raccoon need to have a meeting with my pellet gun.  Darn it.....I had grown to like those chicks in a love/hate sort of way!  I can not believe I spent hours fretting and working out a plan to get those remaining hens to Friday. 

Such is ranch life.  And yet another reason why I really do not want chickens.  Too independent for their own good and they poop everywhere!

Seize the Day!

2 comments: