| warning: iPhone pic! |
So when I got "the call"...I had to go. Grace is in heat (seems to be the story of my life) so Gyp got the mob. It was fun watching her sort out her outrun and once she got them together she sorted out how to bring all 200. At one point we had this crazy whirlpool going....outside rim of sheep circling the core of sheep that were standing, knees locked and not budging an inch! Our mission was to take the mob and drive them into a paddock which sounded pretty easy. But sheep are anything but, so when the blind-in-one-eye girl got scared in the move through new territory and freaked out.... my inexperienced Gyp said, "fine, let the yotes get ya". With the price of sheep and at the end of the day, that really is not an option, so Gyp and I had to go into the paddock, sort off a group of ewes, and take those back to calm the blind one so she would come. All in a good day's work.
Bella had a go in another huge field....one filled with pregnant ewes and a big surprise to me.....6 mom's with brand new lambs. Bella's gather looked much better....not pulling in on the first volunteers to come...but those ewes and new lambies certainly brought a great lesson for this maturing girl. One ewe kept turning on Bella to protect her babe.....and when Bella stopped pressuring her, she would come along with the mob. However, Miss Bella would pick herself up earlier than the mom felt comfortable and make a fight. It was a fabulous lesson in patience for all of us.
I think I might have crossed over into the certifiable category......days when I get to go work the girls and help at the sheep ranch are my favorite sort of days. It is indescribable joy to watch the dogs sort and figure and grow and become. I'm thankful for the balance and perspective that comes amidst this crazy roller coaster ride called life.
Seize the Day!!!
Awesome!! So much fun to be in the environment that BCs were bred for!! Glad you had a good day!
ReplyDeleteI love reading about you training your dogs. This is very fascinating.
ReplyDelete