Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Art of Manifestation

Recently, I went on a small working vacation and while I was away, good friends were watching the ranch.  In an effort to get my young hens laying, I had put a few teaser eggs in the nesting boxes.  When I left, all the girls were laying but I forgot about the fake eggs...they seemed to be non-events.  But then it happened...one of the hens decided her biological clock was ticking....she gathered up the eggs that no one wanted and were always left behind, and went to the business of starting a family.  By the time I got home, she had a bad case of the 'broodies'!  I gathered up the cursed fakers, darn broody carriers, and shooed the hen off her nest, getting pecked while doing the deed.  Note to self, hens have quite a 360 range and hen pecks really hurt! 

Every day, I would go to the ranch, gather eggs, and shoo miss broody pants off her nest of air, all to no avail!  I consulted expert hen friends to design a plan....I learned broody hens stop laying...and won't lay until their babies have grown a bit.  I contemplated borrowing a rooster, but really want the hen to get back to the sweatshop work of laying in June.  I have boys to feed for the summer.

My friend Shannon suggested I go to the feed store and buy some babies to give the mom.  That should give her a job, I know somebody who wants a few young hens, and the broody girl should be back at laying sooner than sitting on eggs or air.  So that is just what I did.

I bought five of the cutest, best laying, baby girl chicks and brought them to the ranch.  I had been advised to do the deed at dusk...when the hen was sleepy and not really aware of what was happening.  After chores, egg gathering and hen shooing, the girl was right back onto the nest of air...so I went for it.  Dodging the hen pecks, I lifted her hinny off her nesting box and stuffed 5 chicks under her body.  Quickly I shut the nesting box lid and went to finish my tasks for the day.  A few minutes later, I went back to check and see how the bonding was coming along. The very first step into the hen house revealed a hen puffing up like a marshmallow in a microwave and actually hen growling at me......all ready to kick my butt.....she had babies to defend!  And not a peep from the babies who were finally all-over warm for the first time in their lives.

The theory of manifestation is one of...what you think on, you become. I can't wait to read the book by my hen......how she hatched five chicks out of air!  Little does she know, sometimes our dreams come true with a little behind the scene help from friends!

Seize the Day!!!!!

1 comment: